Unlimited access >

Managing a Field Hunter with PSSM

Hello-

I am wondering if there are folks out there who hunt horses with PSSM/EPSM/RER and, if so, how you manage the condition.

I have hunted my mare lightly for two seasons now and she has done well, but this year she tied up in late October (which is toward the end of our season here in NY), so we are done for the year. Fall is typically a trigger-time for her, but it usually happens later in November. She has been tested by the lab in MN and is positive for Type 1 PSSM.

She is on Blue Seal Carb Guard (allegedly the lowest NSC value on the market), has a normal Selenium level (we just tested last week), and gets added fat calories via Oil and Buckeye Ultimate Finish. The current working theory is that the grass has been very lush this year and a recent early frost brought up more sugars than she can handle.

No one else in my hunt has a positive horse, so there isn’t any local advise to be had specific re: the rigors of hunting and I am curious to hear if and how others have dealt with the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa (and Quincy)

My horse, Truman, has PSSM Type 1 as well. I didn’t know much about him when I bought him except that he hadn’t had much work for some time.

The first time he tied up was in the Fall two years ago, shortly after I acquired him, but before I started hunting him on a regular basis. His trainer took him out hunting and a few days later he tied up. We let him recover and started riding him regularly.

In the spring, shortly after a hunter pace, he tied up again. We had him tested at this time and discovered his condition. At the time, he was in a rich pasture and being fed a mixture of sweet feed and oats. As you note, the speculation was that in the increase in sugars in grass in the spring and fall may have triggered both events.

Since that time, he has been in a paddock with very little grass, but he gets lots of hay. He stays out 7 x 24 with access to run in shed (which he never uses.) He’s fed high fat feed. I try to ride him every day as the vet told me he needs to be constantly exercised.

I hunted him last year from about September to mid February when the weather ended our season. This year, we’ve hunted quite a bit and have not had any issues. I can’t be sure, but I think the 7 x 24 turn out with hay only and lots of exercise made the difference.

I hope this helps.
John (and Truman)

Hi John-

Thanks for sharing your experience with Truman. Do you carry banamine with you while hunting? My worst nightmare is for it to happen while we are at a check miles away from anywhere.

Lisa

Hello,

I had a mare who I suspect has PSSM (negative on the DNA test, opted not to do the muscle biopsy). She also had a session of very strange colics/tieing up episodes, all after strenuous work in the fall/early winter.

I always thought that her muscles, especially through her haunches, were exceptionally stiff/tight. You could bounce a quarter off of them! The vet/masseuse did not feel or see anything strange.

I now have her on ALCAR (L-Carnitine). She has been on a scoop a day (about 10 mg) for the past almost 3 years. No issues, no colics and if I miss a dose I can feel her haunches start tightening up again.

Other than that she is a very easy keeper, some timothy balance cubes and a cup of Ultium twice per day. I have her hay tested and horsetech mixes up a custom vitamin mix for her in lieu of a ration balancer. It might be worth a try.

[QUOTE=Mouse&Bay;8412697]
Hello,

I now have her on ALCAR (L-Carnitine). She has been on a scoop a day (about 10 mg) for the past almost 3 years. No issues, no colics and if I miss a dose I can feel her haunches start tightening up again.

Other than that she is a very easy keeper, some timothy balance cubes and a cup of Ultium twice per day. I have her hay tested and horsetech mixes up a custom vitamin mix for her in lieu of a ration balancer. It might be worth a try.[/QUOTE]

I’m interested to learn that the ALCAR works for you–I talked to my vet about it and he poo-pooed the idea pretty much outright. Can I ask what is in the vitamin mix? Quincy is on SmartCalm for the Magnesium to support her muscles (not for mood) and her E and Se levels are fine with the Ultimate Finish…but I’d love to know what your mare gets.

Thanks, everyone, for your stories. After this last set of episodes, I was beginning to feel like it just wasn’t reasonable to hunt her; it’s good to know that there are folks in similar situations who have success in managing the condition.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

The vitamin mix is a custom blend to balance out our hay analysis. Funny enough, it ends up being a slightly different version of the arizona copper complete (despite me being located in Ontario)! I believe they also add in additional vitamin E for me in the winter.

I purchase the L-Carnitine from horsetech directly as well, if you are looking for a supplier.

It might be worth trying to get into contact with Dr. Stephanie Valberg. She is an expert in PSSM and a foxhunter. :yes:

She was at the University of Minnesota (helped develop the test your mare had), but is now at Michigan State.

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2015/valberg-named-mary-anne-mcphail-dressage-chair-in-equine-sports-medicine/

Wow! I did not know she was a fox hunter. My vet and I were almost to the point of contacting her during this last episode, but decided to hold off once Quincy started to respond to the dietary changes. Thanks for the intel–I am going to try dropping her a line.

Would suggest looking into the KER feeds formulated specifically for PSSM.