Mandatory viewing for anyone who questions why goats are hard to fence

Wheeeeeeee!
https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/14aycoh/how_the_goat_hops_a_fence/

17 Likes

Good grief!! Nothing but air with that goat!! Never saw one who could jump that well. GLAD he is not mine!! No keeping him contained unless he WANTS to stay inside! Ha ha Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I’m so glad mine are lazy at this point in their goaty lives. They’ll climb an occasional tree, but the fences are left alone.

5 Likes

Goats are hilarious! I would love to have a few, but we have a huge coyote population here. Sometimes I see the coyotes hunting for rodents right beside the horses in the pasture. The horses aren’t bothered by them at all.

Not that coyotes will not eat a goat but we and our neighbor have at most times about thirty goats and have not lost a goat to the coyotes who prefer to eat domestic cats and small dogs.

We have a Great Pyrenees that pays more attention (barking at) who is walking on what she believes is HER sidewalk than overseeing the goats. (dog’s name should be Barky but isn’t)

Same as your horses ours do not pay any attention to coyotes, large wild cats, low flying helicopters or much of anything unless you unwrap a peppermint which they can hear from 1,000 feet away

But the goats, to date over the last five years none have been eaten by animals other than I guess humans (neighbor does sell off some as there is a large number of middle eastern around here)

2 Likes

I remember an old saying, "If it won’t hold water, it won’t hold a goat. Seems appropriate for this one.

4 Likes

There is a house down the road with a lot of slope that makes it hard to mow the lawn. They also had a section of brush, junk trees, vines, that was even worse. One day a wire fence showed up around the brush with a sign that “WATCH OUT FOR THE GOATS.” There weren’t any goats. At least not for more than a week. The brush looked a thinner, but still no goats. One day I caught a glimpse. One goat in the brush, hardly visible. Over the next week the brush got thinner and more goats appeared. 4 total. They were doing such a great job that people pulled over to the side of the road - a busy state road - to watch for a few mintues. It looked perfect when they finished.

This is why the sign at the state line says “Maine - the way life should be.”

5 Likes

Dadism yesterday:

You know how to keep a goat from jumping the fence? Build it stairs.

3 Likes

I had to rehome a goat like that to someone who only had electric fencing. It sucked we raised her as a bottle baby and loved her but she wanted to be with us 24/7 and wouldn’t stay in a fence. It was nuts to watch her easily jump over it.

1 Like

I’m planning to rent a herd next spring to clear a few acres of overgrown woods (see my pond post) and to create a fence line for the next phase of fencing. It’s primarily to keep the cats safe, but as the fence product is 7.5’ tall deer fencing, I think I can add a pet goat or three when it’s installed and their job will be to keep that section more or less cleared going forward. Ime fainting goats don’t climb or jump nearly as well as most other breeds, and are easily available.

The Nigerian dwarf esp when they’re full sized are fat and typically stay in a 4 ft fence. My one problem goat was past alpine.

2 Likes

I saw something posted, probably here, about keeping coyotes etc from jumping over a fence.

Rig a metal cable between fenceposts above the top of each section. Put a length of polyester pipe over each length of cable. If a coyote has to jump over the fence they will grab the top of the fence with their front feet to go up and over. If they grab the pipe it spins and they fall off outside the fence.

2 Likes

Works to keep cats in too, if the fence is tall enough that they can’t just clear it.

1 Like