Unlimited access >

Mare Monitoring Cameras

I’m thinking of getting a camera to monitor my pregnant mare when her foal is due… Still have about 4 months to wait but thinking and planning ahead.

What camera system do you use? The barn does have wifi signal- not sure how strong the signal is but I may go out and try playing a youtube video just to check the connection.

I used Nest.

I don’t have WiFi or reliable cell service at my barn, even though it’s quite close to my house. I used a video baby monitor this past year, and it worked surprisingly well - well enough that I plan to use it again in 2022. I can even talk to my horses through the monitor if I’m so inclined. :smiley: The major downside is that I have to be home to watch the monitor, but it was pretty cheap (about $70, if I remember correctly) and very quick/easy to set up.

Bumping this up. I need cameras for 2 12x24 foaling stalls. I am wondering if I would need 2 for each stall, or if one per stall would suffice. I can put a Verizon Mifi out in the barn to get internet while the mares are close to their dates.

Laurierace, which of the Nest cameras did you use? There is a plug-in for about $79.

I have the outdoor wired one. Not sure if they still make that type or not. It was around $200 if I remember correctly. I also have two Arlo cameras that are wireless so need to be recharged every so often. The Nest is better but the Arlo gets the job done too. You would not need two cameras per stall.

1 Like

we are using Netvue Vigil WiFi outdoor cameras… inexpensive at less than $35 each, and I am pretty sure daughter bought some at $15… video quality is better than systems we installed back in the 1980s that cost $20,000

1 Like

Check out Wyze, my horse’s stall is 12x 20 and it covers the whole stall easily. Very clear footage, allows you to record and speak through, cannot recommend enough!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I bought a Wyze camera. Already got it installed and it works great!

1 Like

And I bought 2 Reolink cameras, 1 for each stall. Each camera has 2 lenses, so it captures all 12x24 area of the space. Connects with a really weak wifi signal that I have in the barn, but the video quality is great, even in the dark. It amazes me how technology has improved! I purchased my first foaling camera 18 years ago at RadioShack. It had a little tv monitor. Most of the time I saw snow with just enough of an outline of a horse that I could tell if it was lying or standing, but not much more. These pictures are so clear!

good to know about this brand connecting to weak wifi. We are on the hunt for a camera but the barn is about 350 to 400 feet from the house and while I can pick up the wifi in the barn with my phone we are worried that we will need some sort of booster. I will look into this brand!

My barn is also about 300 feet from the house. We have a shed in between that has a booster plugged in, but the internet connection is DSL and very weak and very slow. Even so, I am still getting a good picture from the camera.

1 Like