Marks on horses face

Hey, i noticed these weird black patches on my horses face, they weren’t there before , so i’m wondering what it is. sorry if it’s a dumb question

Is he a grey? If so, the color changes over time. Typically the horse goes from dark to dapple to more or less white, and then can start to get colored flecks called “flea bitten grey.”

1 Like

Looks like a halter mark to me. Depending on the material they can discolor hair.

10 Likes

Halter marks was my first thought too.

1 Like

Sweaty halter marks. I have a grey too.

2 Likes

how should i get rid of it?

Sponge and water ??

Depends on whether it’s just a sweat mark or not. Have you tried washing it off? If it won’t come off easily it may be a stain; I might try a stain cleaner like the green spot spray and see if that works.

Looks a rub from a halter or bridle. Is the hair is rubbed off so you’re seeing the dark skin underneath? If so, you might want to add some fleece to your horse’s halter to see if that helps. Those marks are right where the crownpiece buckle and throatlatch rung and snap would be.

3 Likes

Agree with foggythistle - minor rub marks. Is your horse wearing a flymask?

The marks will most likely get more noticeable if you don’t fix what’s causing the rubbing - so add some fleece to the binding of the mask. It could be from a halter too, if you’re leaving the halter on all day.

The hair is pretty sparse over the face, so rub marks will happen much more easily there. Greys are also much more prone to visible rub marks because of the contrast between the white hairs and black skin.

And don’t worry - the hair will grow back.

2 Likes