Unlimited access >

Marquetry as a sire in the OTTB

I’ve been coveting a 3 year old filly at the track and as long as she finishes her career with her current owner/trainer connections, she’ll be mine when she’s ready to retire. She has both Storm Cat (top) & Marquetry (bottom) 2 generations back. I know the reputations SC’s have (I’ve had a couple as well & am not bothered by seeing him in a pedigree) but I know very little about Marquetry as a sire in the sport horse world (apart from the fact that he tended to put a lot of flashy babies out there). Anyone have any Marquetry babies out there competing in second careers??

Here’s the filly’s pedigree I’m watching:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/gospel+glamour

Having know a few Marquetry’s add that to Storm Cat …you might be looking at attitude in spades…But on the other hand I love Conquistador Cielo’s they can be tough minded but move so well and jump like spiders its worth the effort.

Marquetry is (latently) being used in some color breeders to bring out a colored TB. In my frank, honest opinion, while he is beautiful, he is not as talented or as athletic as his sire Conquistador Cielo; CC himself tends to make a very nice jumper. I am not sure why Marquetry didn’t exactly inherit that talent – but none of his offspring are UL that I know of. I have not been overly impressed with any of Marquetry’s get, but I suppose it depends on the mare.

She would probably be very professional, and not a love-bug - but that is not a bad thing. I would not expect a beautiful or ugly mover: efficient is what I would call it.

AP Indy is in there too, don’t forget. I’ve seen some nice AP Indy/Storm Cat combinations. Hopefully you would get the SC talent with the AP’s heart… though I think SC tends to put a lot of heart on his horses too.

I like her pedigree, the bottom side is nice. I haven’t seen Relic that close in a pedigree in a long while. He was a nice horse. I think you’ll have fun with her.

I know nothing about Marquetry, but the dam side of the pedigree has some nice things going on. I like Olden times.

I’ve had a few Storm Cat’s & AP Indy’s before but the dam side of this filly’s pedigree is pretty new to me. I enjoy learning about traits & characteristics that often get passed down/associated with certain horses & lines so keep the info sharing coming! :winkgrin: For instance, I know nothing about Olden Times & Relic. What makes them names to look for in a pedigree?

I LOVED the Marquetry’s that I owned and dealt with for breeding! Really nice horses in every possible way. Nice movers, good attitudes as well …

My first stallion - Spot Pocket - was an Olden Times descendant and he was as kind and agreeable as you could find

I like everything about her pedigree - top and bottom. Hope you get her … :slight_smile:

Here’s Olden Times pedigree. Several wonderful old names for sport… Relic, Plus a great dam side with double Tourbillon and double Teddy.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/olden+times

I’m a crazy mare person… I love them, and like it when I see a mare with good breeding on the dam side. Definitely enjoy this girl if she’s coming off the track sound and sane. It’s great that she already has options for a good post racing life.

My mare is Marquetry as her dam sire. Her pedigree:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/xtralicous

Shes athletic as all get out. Havent found an grid she cant figure out. Shes also very difficult to ride on the flat and anxious. Shes hot hot hot.

That being said she did a preliminary this spring and due to small injuries (hot nail, puncture wound, abcess) shes been out of competition this fall. Im aiming for a 1* this spring 2017. We will see.

[QUOTE=FLeventer;8938017]
My mare is Marquetry as her dam sire. Her pedigree:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/xtralicous

Shes athletic as all get out. Havent found an grid she cant figure out. Shes also very difficult to ride on the flat and anxious. Shes hot hot hot.

That being said she did a preliminary this spring and due to small injuries (hot nail, puncture wound, abcess) shes been out of competition this fall. Im aiming for a 1* this spring 2017. We will see.[/QUOTE]
There is a lot going on in that pedigree to like! And a lot that would contribute to Xtralicous being Xtra spicy and Xtra talented… and it has little to do with Marquetry :winkgrin:

She’s linebred to Hail To Reason and Dr. Fager. HTR is a known staying line for long format. Dr Fager is a known jump source. Unfortunately for you, both are the forward and sensitive type so it’s not a surprise you got the ‘anxious’ package. Then you’ve got the BR linebreeding AND a double to Imperatrice, who is about as blue blood as you can get which stacks Bay Ronald, Amphion and Flying Fox 4x in the Imperatrice double alone: there is a lot to like about Rock & Roll’s pedigree (Xtralicous’ sire).

The linebreeding to HTR alone brings a lot of sport blood to the table through Blue Larkspur, MOW/Fair Play, Royal Charger, and of course, Teddy. That is all far back but when you double on a horse like HTR you will typically have a very potent type.

I would say the weakest part of Xtralicious’ pedigree is Marquetry - but other than that, the damside is quite solid. Secreto and Cozzene both have their fair share of horses in the long format days; Cozzene was a really nice horse. IIRC, Secreto has a fair amount of turf horses.

I loved Rock and Roll! Amazingly beautiful!

[QUOTE=FLeventer;8938017]

Shes athletic as all get out. Havent found an grid she cant figure out. Shes also very difficult to ride on the flat and anxious. Shes hot hot hot. [/QUOTE]

Funny–that’s exactly how I’d describe the mare I’d have with Marquetry in the same place in the pedigree. She’s a tricky combination of “yes I KNOW” and that anxiety. Certainly makes me a better rider!

Here’s her pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/addicted+to+dove

[QUOTE=Simkie;8938623]
Funny–that’s exactly how I’d describe the mare I’d have with Marquetry in the same place in the pedigree. She’s a tricky combination of “yes I KNOW” and that anxiety. Certainly makes me a better rider!

Here’s her pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/addicted+to+dove[/QUOTE]

I agree completely on the better rider aspect. Ive become a lot softer and a ton more patient with riding her. I love your mares name and her pedigree. Im a Danzig fan.

Beowulf, thank you for the break down. I loved her sire line and now im even more fond of it. I didnt know all that, so thank you! I have another who is double HTR, though not as close, and hes a cool cucumber and fairly easy in comparison.

She is my sweet girl who runs away from me in the pasture, only likes Mrs Pastures cookies and Stud Muffins (Spits everything else out), can be incredibly fancy in her test until she wants to throw in a few bucks, and will jump any XC fence you point her at without hesitation. I love her to death and picked a stupid resale project that deep down I knew would be tough to sell, but I think I knew she would stay from the start. Sorry, I do really love my pretty girl.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Marquetry but my mare does have AP Indy and Storm cat on the top and Halo (Hail to Reason) on the bottom. She is very athletic but she is very sensitive. Just something to keep in mind. Incredibly sweet on the ground but can be tricky undersaddle at times.

There is lots to like about Marquetry. He is one of my favorite horses.

Conformation horse looks, retired sound and clean legged after 30+ starts in top company, amazing disposition, and a great mind. When he was standing in Kentucky, he was the horse the farm would bring out at corporate gatherings – literally, so the stock holders could pat him. The stallion manager told me another story about bringing him in from his paddock when the halter broke. The groom looped the shank around his neck, and they continued back to the barn.

I have one of his get from his second crop. Mine is like a smaller, more conservatively marked version of his father. He is a natural jumper, with spectacular hunter form, really comfortable gaits, and a nothing bothers me mind. You ask him to do something, he does it. Can be a little sensitive and gets his feelings hurt if you chastise him.

Love the pedigree of the mare you are considering, and I hope you get her.

Marquetry is the sire of one of our local race stallions in this area, Mass Market. While I have not owned one of these myself, I have known several as boarders. Actually, I have one here right now this winter. They have been quite popular here as racehorses, people have had success with the cream of them. And I have “heard” that they have jumped well too, though I have not seen the proof myself. I have liked several of them, they have had nice dispositions, kind, willing to do the right thing, sensible, easy to break and easy to ride. I have friends who think they tend to bow tendons as racehorses, but that is always questionable and dependant on so many things. But the one I have here now looks like a potential to bow as a racehorse, long cannons, and sloped pasterns. Nice guy though. Mass Market is solid chestnut as far as I know, but has thrown some pure TB paint horses when bred to race mares. So that possibility is there if this one ever earns the right to reproduce.

I just wanted to add that Marquetry is sire to Artax who is thought of as a desirable sire for sport horses.

Marquetry sired Parker- James Allistons 4* horse

I have a Mass Market son out of a Regal Intention dam- I know a couple other MM babies. They are athletic but can be sensitive - my guy is definitely a redhead lol. He’s super sweet but takes a long time to trust and they messed him pretty bad on the track. He has nice movement but that could be from both line sides. There was a MM son going Prelim a few years ago but haven’t seen him around. He really stamps his foals though - chestnuts with a bit of chrome.

Brings back found memories when I see the name Marquetry. His owner was a client and became a good friend and mentor. They took me to the Breeder’s Cup when he ran. When visiting at the barn he struck me as a nice horse to work with.

Sadly Dr. Engelson (Buzzy to his friends) was murdered in his house a few years after Marquetry was retired.