Unlimited access >

Marsh grass in pasture

It has been unbelievably wet here in Massachusetts and my pastures have developed marsh grass patches in the wettest areas. It’s not really drying out and it’s difficult to mow without getting stuck. It’s not a wetland or protected in any way… Just a super wet season with an already low lying area.

Is there any way to kill these without ruining the rest of the pasture or soil? Horses won’t be out in this space until likely June, but I could also block it off if I really needed to for a year.

I would also pay someone if I knew what to ask for. Please help!

Your county extension offices, which are affiliates of land-grant universities, are excellent free resources for these matters. They can help you identify the plant and the best way to combat.

My AgCo-op will ID and custom spray. Do you have an equivalent like Southern States? Our larger local feed store will as well. If you have an iPhone take a picture of it and ID it that way. You will need to verify but it should give you the genus and species. Good luck. I have switch grass invading and its a battle.

I think this is the closest we have to what you’re describing… I don’t think we have a co-op but genuinely not sure what that is.

Might just try emailing them and see what happens.

Try Googling the Massachusetts Agricultural Extension service. I think they’re based at UMass, but there are some satellite offices. They’ve been very helpful every time I’ve called them.

Why are you concerned about the marsh grass? If the horses find it unpalatable, they won’t eat it and depending what sort it is, it may have been made into hay in times past. I’m no expert, but we haven’t had any issues with wetlands grasses in our paddocks and I know there are some out there, especially this time of year.

I’m mostly considered that it might take over grass they will eat. We are pretty limited on space and I want the grass to be as edible as possible. Feels like they eat a few spots down to nothing and then undesirable grasses or weeds spread.

I also suspect (but don’t know) that having the long grass and coverage makes it take even longer to dry so we can never mow down there and it’s becoming increasingly bog-like.