Unlimited access >

Maryland 5* --- **Important Info** for GA Ticket Holders

yea i mean, that’s the big question – i really don’t know what they’ll do. seems like it could go any way: bag checkers see us coming with giant and/or stuffed full bags and either: 1) take one look and say ‘absolutely not,’ 2) insist on searching the whole thing, or 3) just wave us in.

obvi i’m hoping for Door #3 here, but then again i’ll also be super grumpy if i pack according to the rules (ie: no food or drinks) but then they don’t do searches…

Update for all who are interested in reply to my email:

Thank you for your interest in the Maryland 5 Star at Fair Hill taking place on October 14-17, 2021 in beautiful Cecil County, MD! We will absolutely make exceptions on the food policy for those with dietary and/or medical restrictions. When you arrive, please note this to the main entrance staff and they will permit you to enter with the food you have brought for your specific needs. These policies were put in place to avoid people bringing large platters of food or pizzas, not for those with dietary and/or medical restrictions.

In regards to the mini backpack, I believe you are referring to the purse size backpacks that have become popular recently. They will be allowed for the event. Multi-compartment backpacks, like those with anywhere from 5-10 pockets typically used for school, are not allowed as they pose a safety risk. We hope that this clarifies any confusion and we look forward to seeing you next week!

1 Like

I’m as local as you can get- I literally board my horses right off of Fair Hill, am there everyday and work in the same town. I was a volunteer at the 4* for over 20 years and my company has provided the plant material for VIP tent and nearby decorations for years. I am not an eventer and while I enjoy watching the horses go at the FHI, what I really went for (on days I wasn’t volunteering) was the festival part- the shops, the food, the dog agility, etc. And I think that is what the majority of the locals going there were wanting to see too. My DH and I were just discussing how there’s been very little local advertising- usually lots of people have signs in their yards etc, there are signs at major intersections- this year, just one banner that I have seen so far and it’s right at FH. They are very much alienating the local community- between tearing up Fair Hill, stomping all over the rules that other events have to have and now the way they are going about tickets etc- it really sucks that they seem to be ruining what was a great event

3 Likes

a lot of my friends who were similarly involved the way you describe started expressing skepticism about the event as early as two years ago, and i never really understood. but… maybe i’m beginning to see why now. i’m sorry that you and the rest of the local community are feeling alienated. i really don’t understand some of the messaging around this event, like i keep trying to imagine who they think the target audience is for most of their marketing materials and… it just doesn’t sound like they’re speaking to the ‘regular’ crowd. we’ll see, i guess.

2 Likes

“they pose a safety risk” …gimme a freakin break

1 Like

BlockquoteIn regards to the mini backpack, I believe you are referring to the purse size backpacks that have become popular recently. They will be allowed for the event. Multi-compartment backpacks, like those with anywhere from 5-10 pockets typically used for school, are not allowed as they pose a safety risk. We hope that this clarifies any confusion and we look forward to seeing you next week!

Yeah that’s super confusing now, because mine is definitely a mini backpack (I can barely fit my tiny crossbody purse in it) but they told me I couldn’t bring it? And mine technically has three compartments, four if you count the velcro flap.

Oy vey the gates are going to be a disaster if they can’t get their story straight.

I’m guessing we’re just seeing the effects of people emailing them with edge cases they never considered when the rules were made, so they’re just slowly expanding them.

I definitely can understand where some of the rules are coming from, but it’s SO so difficult to create rules that have the intended effect, and ONLY the intended effect. Case in point, not wanting people to bring pizzas/platters in with the intent of supporting the local food stands, but not necessarily wanting to prevent people from bringing in snacks for themselves or kiddos, or for special dietary needs, etc.

2 Likes

The one I have has a large compartment and then a really tiny front pocket. Honestly? I’m just going to bring it and print out the email from Maryland 5* and call it a day. I’ll have a shoulder bag in the car if necessary, but hopefully it won’t come to that.

Definitely. I just want to bring more than a kind bar/protein bar stuffed in my jeans pocket. I’ll buy a drink if I have to, I don’t care. But if I’m going to spend 8 hours outside walking, I’d like some calories. The second you start asking questions about ingredients, most places won’t serve you anyway. In previous years, I found a safe Maryland crab soup from one of the vendors and lived on that for days but there is no way of knowing if they’ll be back this year.

BlockquoteThe one I have has a large compartment and then a really tiny front pocket. Honestly? I’m just going to bring it and print out the email from Maryland 5* and call it a day. I’ll have a shoulder bag in the car if necessary, but hopefully it won’t come to that.

That’s a good idea. I also sent them a very detailed email with the screen shot of my backpack. If they say I can bring it, I’ll print it out and bring it along.

And I’ll be storing the printout…in…my backpack :sunglasses:

lol fun fact, they stopped replying to me entirely… i’ve been emailing each morning asking stuff like “will free water be available” and “what if i buy something giant like a saddle, can i leave to put it in my car and then come back into the venue?” but am getting crickets…

sorry to be annoying, guys, but when you write a policy that so oddly specifically states only “single strap diaper bags” etc, you should probably be prepared for questions haha…

3 Likes

I just sent them an email spelling out the case for people needing adequate bags if they are going to be walking around for 7 hours and possibly shopping without being able to return to their cars. I went through every bag I own (that’s like over 50 pieces) and have NOTHING that meets their criteria, will fit what I need to carry, and won’t be slicing off my shoulders after half an hour. Every backpack I can find advertised as “single pocket” with adequate straps has a second smaller pocket on the front. Maybe they’ll reconsider if they get enough noise? Ugh.

2 Likes

They did that to me on messenger too, when I asked about places to fill my water bottle. It’s on messenger so I can SEE that they left me on read :joy:

I pre purchased my tickets this year, but if bags/water/venue entry is going to be as difficult as their rules make it out to be, I just won’t go next year. Kentucky is way bigger and they don’t seem to have or cause these issues. They’re making it impossible for me to come there and spend money (aka shopping) so I’ll spend my $ elsewhere.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this, too— no local advertising.

Most of my local horsey friends (many of whom we share) think the same as you.

I wasn’t sure what to think for myself until I went to several pre-covid public meetings with the MSA, MHC, and Maryland 5* team. Their enthusiasm infectious. They really hooked me when they started talking about adding more racing dates. I do think covid threw a lot of monkey wrenches.

I know the fair crowd is still livid. But honestly, I appreciate some forward thinking about the facilities. When I left the area in 2006, several attempts to get more “real” shows off the ground were already stagnating. I know we love Fair Hill and don’t want to lose access, but it has a lot more potential than what we currently use it for.

I am getting really nervous. I was at the spring FEI as my trainer was there competing and it’s on the way from DC to where I was keeping my horses in PA. I have been to the fall 4* a few times over the years to watch and I use a backpack every year. I think it’s been the same back pack actually with a poncho, compact folding stool seat, water, snacks, and other various things I need for the whole day.

I am kind of at a loss because I dont have a bag that will fit that criteria, my expenses will be a lot higher than years prior if I have to buy food, snacks, and drinks. I enjoy watching the horses go, im happy to buy a ticket, but I’m also budget friendly and I go to walk around, window shop, and see the ponies. Maybe say hello to a few people when I see them.

I really hope that this isn’t a major change but I’m worried.

Fair Hill is a NRMA is doesn’t need “potential” realized. It’s needs to be an open natural space.

2 Likes

An NMRA that was specifically granted for equestrian activities.

It never was just an open, natural space with the fair, the training center, the races, FEI and USEA recognized events, and countess other equestrian activities. The way I see it, having well-funded equestrian facilities in continuous use doesn’t prevent people from enjoying the thousands of undeveloped acres.

4 Likes

Actually that part is a local legend type thing. It was never specifically designated for equestrian activities- the original paperwork when the state purchased the land is available to the public if you want to look into it.

1 Like

Interesting! I know William duPont wanted to preserve his fox hunting land but I never read the original paperwork.

It’s not just about people’s use and enjoyment; it’s about flora and fauna, too.

1 Like

Right. But my point is Fair Hill has never in my lifetime been an undisturbed natural area. There has always been equestrian facilities. I am 100% supportive of bringing those facilities up to this level. I’m all for Fair Hill receiving international recognition for the incredible property it is. With 5,000+ acres, there is room to share. Most of the development and earth moving for the 5 star was in areas already used for horse and fair activities.

If we are talking about environmental impact, why is 8,000 people attending a 5* a bigger problem than 75,000 people attending the fair?

5 Likes