Unlimited access >

Maryland 5* --- **Important Info** for GA Ticket Holders

Quick Update from the Events Crew:

1. There will be water stations on property to fill reusable water bottles
  2. Guests will be given a wristband upon entering the event, this will allow re-entry into the event.
9 Likes

Iā€™m glad you posted this because I definitely never would have known about it. None of the other 5* events Iā€™ve been to have had a bag check of any kind or restrictions like this so it would never have even crossed my mind.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised. I would have just shown up with what
I normally bring.

I received absolutely no response to my email. I found an ugly but conforming bag on clearance at Walmart yesterday. Target had a few purse-like things that would also qualify, but I didnā€™t feel like spending more than the cost of my ticket for a bag I donā€™t even want.

So I donā€™t want to get in a fight over this, those who live or have lived in that area have our opinions about whatā€™s changed and how we feel about it. But where are you seeing 75,000 people at the fair? I mean, at most, possibly 1,000, being extremely generous, is all Iā€™ve seen at one time, say on a Friday night, and itā€™s just in that small area right by the road.

The CCF website says their attendance is 75,000. https://www.cecilcountyfair.org/about-us/history/#:~:text=Today%20more%20than%2075%2C000%20people,open%20and%204-H%20exhibitors.

There isnā€™t a fight and I donā€™t want one either. Some people are sharing their opinions. I am sharing mine. I think ā€œwho is more localā€ competitions are silly, but my childhood home where my mother still lives practically borders Fair Hill. I certainly have more vested in the situation than just being a fan. I was skeptical when they announced the first plans. But they won me over when I heard the teamā€™s vision for the facility.

I didnā€™t get an email response either. At least we know we can have water to drink and re enter the facility if needed :dizzy_face:ā€:dizzy:

75,000 is probably over the entire week including all entries, volunteers, etc

As far as advertising, Iā€™ve heard commercials about it on WXCY for the last couple weeks. I havenā€™t driven thru FH lately so didnā€™t know there werenā€™t any signs out. That seems odd!

Thereā€™s way more than 1,000 at fair on big nights. Demo derby for example, itā€™s packed !

So, will the vendors be CC only too!? Food and goods?

iā€™m not entirely certain, but the website says the following, which makes it seem like each vendor might make their own choices? so presumably if you bring cash, there will be opportunities to use it?

ATMā€™s will be available on-site for cash withdrawals to be used for purchases made at the events Retail Vendor Area and other designated areas.

yea iā€™m definitely worried about a whole bunch of people showing up with all their kit from years and years of past attendanceā€¦ i guess weā€™ll see what happens??

One of the best things about Kentucky is being able to bring your own booze inā€¦and drink all dayā€¦hahah

2 Likes

that was formerly one of the best things about Fair Hill tooā€¦ siiiiiiiigh

forecast is calling for rain now, tho, so iā€™m wondering if the whole bag check thing will go right out the window if everyone is wearing a million layers and getting poured on in lineā€¦?

Iā€™m hoping maybe some people who attend on the earlier days can let us know if the restrictions are really being followed to the letter of the website.

The forecast of warm weather with showers means needing a bag big enough to carry rain gearā€¦ and it would be nice to be able to keep the wet stuff separate from everything else :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I plan to be there Thursday morning early enough to catch some of the 3* rides, and will give a report on my entry experience. Iā€™m glad this thread alerted me to potential issues.

4 Likes

My mom and I got in, no problem, no checks. I had a single pocket canvas duffel, which I usually carry, full of benign stuff (water bottle, a couple of apples). Mom had her ā€œmom handbagā€, though itā€™s kinda streamlined, doesnā€™t look particularly threatening (IMO). HOWEVER. We arrived prior to the first ride, were about the 10th car parked in the field across 273, were the ONLY people entering at that moment, and nearly have the GA stands to ourselves. Iā€™d planned to see how other visitors were greeted but there were none at that moment! Currently in media seating because thereā€™s no media. So this probably isnā€™t the best point of view, Iā€™m afraid. Adding: I just saw a pair of folks walk by with backpacks, multi-pocket type, no volunteer badges so maybe they were allowed entrance as is? Anyway, itā€™s a lovely venue, Carolyn Martin is currently leading with a 25.5, the sun is breaking through the mist, and Iā€™m just happy to be hereā€¦ even if itā€™s a far cry from how I remember it in the 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s, with the Pony Club rallies and steeple chase days. Kinda miss the rickety old grandstandsā€¦

5 Likes

ooooh awesome that you got in so easily, and what a beautiful day to be there!! iā€™m pretty excited for tomorrow, not gonna lie.

glad the entry was smooth and streamlined. i hope thatā€™s a good omen for the whole weekend. tho, realistically, i expect the gate experience to be different on saturday than from any other day. HOW different, tho, will be anybodyā€™s guess!!

in any case, have a great day today!!

I very much suspect all of the verbiage on the website is stereotypical legal CYAā€™s required by the Maryland Stadium Authority for entrance to a big event.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s such a freaking odd policy too. ā€œsingle strap?ā€ Do they have ANY idea how much of a pain a bag like that is to carry around outside all day? Iā€™ve done Fair Hill (spring and fall) with strollers and diaper bags and itā€™s a nightmare. I was planning on going Saturday, with three kids in tow, and seriously have no idea how to handle these bag policies. With likely rain, I need to pack rain gear. Kids need snacks constantly, and I would like separate compartments to keep wet stuff apart from snacksā€¦ I tend to get hung up on logistics for stuff like this but itā€™s out of experience. I honestly had expected everything to just be like past events until a friend volunteering gave me a heads up about all the new people involved.