Unlimited access >

Maryland Equine Chiropractors Recommendations

I couldn’t find any recent threads on this topic so I’m looking for an updated version of whose out there in the Maryland area. My horse is boarded in Westminster, so I’m looking for someone that will come out there. I’d like to find someone that does chiro and accupuncture. I’d love to hear personal experiences (good or bad) that you’ve had with local chiropractors.

So far I’ve heard of Dr. Melissa Carlson, Dr. Richard Card, Dr. Lewis and Dr. Laura Reick, but I don’t know much about any of them.

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

I can recommend Dr Reick. She is local to Westminster. I have used Dr Lewis in the past with good results. Tried Dr Carlson once and would not use her again. I would also recommend Dr Paternotte.

I don’t know Dr Card.

Do you have a phone number for Dr. Reick?

Most of the owners at our barn use Dr. Jim Yanchumis for our performance horses. He has been a vet for many years and now specialized in Chiro and Accupuncture work. I have seen some amazing results. He wil leave you with some exercises specifically for your horse and if you follow his instructions you will see great improvement. His email is drjim@eqvet.com. He comes to our farm in Mt. Airy once a month. I used Dr. Melissa previously at my trainers but prefer Dr. Jim.

I use Dr. Ruth Stokes for chiro, but I’m not sure if she does acupuncture.

Dr. Brooke Harper. She is in PA but will travel to your farm and is absolutely amazing. She does horses all over MD. I had her do mine and I do not live far from you.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! They are really helpful. Now I have a really good place to start and backups in case someone doesn’t work out.

Dr Jim is great and comes to MD most Wednesdays. I have used dr Patternotte and really liked her but she seemed to get overwhelmed and stopped returning calls, which was not super cool when my horse was in pain.

[QUOTE=S&SFarm;7850464]
Most of the owners at our barn use Dr. Jim Yanchumis for our performance horses. He has been a vet for many years and now specialized in Chiro and Accupuncture work. I have seen some amazing results. He wil leave you with some exercises specifically for your horse and if you follow his instructions you will see great improvement. His email is drjim@eqvet.com. He comes to our farm in Mt. Airy once a month. I used Dr. Melissa previously at my trainers but prefer Dr. Jim.[/QUOTE]

What sort of exercises? Very cool! I use Dr. Brooke Harper and she’s been great so far for both chiropractic and acupuncture.

I too looked for someone local and as recommended by my lameness Vet, I still haul to Dr Carlos Jimenez in Unionville, Pa. Had a waste of time/money visit by some suggested above.

I know Dr. Reick is a DVM, but how many of the others suggested are? Many years ago that combination was very hard to find, is it becoming more popular?

I use Dr. Harper also. And yes, she is a DVM; she is one of my regular vets as well. I love that she uses accu/chiro as well as traditional vet med in her diagnosis/assessment.

[QUOTE=asterix;7861099]
Dr Jim is great and comes to MD most Wednesdays. I have used dr Patternotte and really liked her but she seemed to get overwhelmed and stopped returning calls, which was not super cool when my horse was in pain.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I may be too far out for Dr. Jim. I have heard that a lot about Dr. Paternotte which is unfortunate because I’ve heard good things about her work.

I may try contacting Dr. Harper as she has been getting a lot of love on here. I actually used to know her way back when. I was a friend if a friend and watched her house/horses for her at one time. Small world.

[QUOTE=Ahmarezing;7861312]
What sort of exercises? Very cool! I use Dr. Brooke Harper and she’s been great so far for both chiropractic and acupuncture.[/QUOTE]

I saw some videos on his website and one was of carrot stretches that you can do. Here’s his website:
http://www.eqvet.com

I found Dr. Jim to be very full of himself, bit sickening having to listen him the entire time he worked on my horse, and he didn’t return phone calls or txt messages. He also cancelled a few appointments with me and then again, was hard to get in touch with to reschedule.

I’ve used Dr. Reick many times for chiro and accupuncture and liked her. She was very good with my two TB’s (one who can be sensitive, and one who is a saint) as well as other boarders’ very sensitive horses. I did feel a difference in my young TB under saddle after she worked on him (and he LOVED the whole session) but he wasn’t in dire need of any “fixing” to begin with. I did feel a huge difference in my older TB that really needs the adjustments. She’s also very friendly/easy to be around as a person, answers all your questions, and has never canceled/been late for our appointments. My aunt used her as a vet for years before I started using her for chiro and liked her then. I have had my horses in Carroll and Frederick Counties, and she has come to both areas.