Unlimited access >

Maryland Horse Owners

My boyfriend and I are moving to Maryland next month and we are having a bit of a crisis trying to find a place to keep his saddlebred/friesian gelding. Boyfriend will be working in Fulton next month, and we have been approved for an apartment in Columbia. We are from New Jersey and the horse is kept at Diamond Creek Farm, here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/DiamondCreekFarm We have been looking at farms in central Maryland, like Olney and Clarksville, and are we pretty underwhelmed. I’m not going to mention names, but we looked at 8 or 9 barns today, and of the few we like, they have waiting lists that are pretty long. We are looking for a place with facilities similar to Diamond Creek or Wyndham Oak (its a little far away though). The horse is trained for dressage, although boyfriend and horse are not particularly competitive yet. We’d like private or semi-private turn out, a nice indoor and flexible feed options, (we will provide our own). Everything else is negotiable, and we’d consider going west, like Germantown if necessary. I know someone posted a similar thread sort of recently, I just wasn’t sure if there was anything new going on in the area. I don’t mean to come across rude or picky, I just come from pretty lush horse country, I have to believe that Maryland has some better options out there somewhere. Thanks!

You are looking at areas that are rapidly becoming suburbs of DC. Stables have less and less acreage. You might want to look at farms on the north side of I-70.

http://equiery.horsetrader.com/ is a source for ads.

chicamuxen

Evergreen Stables, Wateredge Farm, Tara Equestrian Center LLC, Stonebrook Farm, Sunset Hill, Bonafide Stables, & Greystone Farm. Those are the ones off the top of my head in Howard County. Some are eventing barns. I’m not sure of the wait list. I had a friend get into Sunset Hill with no problem.

In Montgomery County, there is: Alsikkan Farm, A Bit Better, and TaylorMade Stables.

Sunset Hill Farm in Lisbon may work for you, although I don’t know if they do private turnout.

Stall Board for All Disc. Rising Star Farm features new state-of-the-art 204x84 indoor, 250x150 outdoor. 12x12 matted stalls, heated wash racks, rnd pen, t/o paddocks, heated tack rms, a/c lounge & viewing rms. Exp. staff on site. Training & lessons avail. Show horses for sale. Conveniently loc. 3 miles north of I-70 off Rt. 97 at 1007 Hoods Mill Rd, Woodbine, MD. Barn 443-920-3701 or cell 301-452-4951

Full care stall & field board minutes from I-70 & 32. Newly renovated barn w/12’x13’ matted stalls, 50+ acres of t/o, huge riding fields & brand new outdoor w/footing & lights under construction this Spring. $650/mo stall, $375/mo field. 301-580-8051 info@taraequestrianeventing.com

Winfield Farm
Priv., prof. run facility in Woodbine since 1989 has a few openings for full care. 2 outdoor arenas, indoor, stadium & XC jumps, semi-priv. T/O, direct access to trails & too many other amenities to list. $650/mo. See Winfield Farm (Woodbine) on Facebook. For info & to schedule a tour call Karen 443-277-9780 or khecht@wildblue.net

Water’s Edge Farm, Sykesville, MD
Full or self care board available. Liz 410-303-6940

There are some great barns heading out 70 towards Frederick (Mt Airey, for example), but I don’t know any with private turnout. There are also a couple of really good barns in Owings Mills/Hunt Valley.

Have you had any experiences with the staff at Evergreen? I have heard that the dressage trainer is good, although I haven’t met him. Their facilities are good, I just wonder about the owner and barn manager. They seem cool, like I’d go have a beer with them, but are they competent and professional at what they do?

I spent some time with Roy when we were both working students a long time ago. I thought he was a great guy, and definitely competent and professional. He’s probably only gotten better with time.

You might consider Paradise Stables. A little farther out but a lovely facility with accommodating staff. While the owners are personally into gaited horses, the boarders are a mix of dressage, eventers, and trail riders.

star

Dear MVSpencer:
Welcome to Maryland! The Equiery, which is a free information service and free monthly local publication, is happy to help you find your new barn.

We appreciate the link someone has already posted to our classifieds, but here is a link to a directory of EVERY boarding facility in the state of Maryland. This directory is a free service, and it includes all stables that offer either boarding or lessons (services for the general public). As you can see, Maryland offers over 800 boarding facilities, so there is something for everyone.

http://equiery.com/ridingBoardingStables.php

If you have not see our free monthly publication (and we have a good relationship with The Chronicle, so this is ok…we refer business back and forth), visit our homepage and click on the icon of the current issue in the top right hand corner, and you can flip through a digital edition:

www.equiery.com.

Last, if you are still unable to find the right barn for you, call our offices! *I would be happy to search our database to help find suitable options. This is a free service. Our number is 1-800-244-9580 and I am extension 101.

Thank you, and again, welcome to Maryland!

Tracy McKenna
The Equiery

270 is a parking lot within a 3 hour window of rush hour. Even if it is farther geographically, it will not take you as long to go north. Stay away from the beltways, 270 and 66. Those who mentioned looking around Mt Airy and north of 70 are right on.