Unlimited access >

Mast cell tumor

I took my dog to an urgent care yesterday for a lump on his jaw that had suddenly spread. The vet felt it was probably an infected wound that she found after shaving his jawline but did a fine needle aspiration as a precaution. I won’t get the results for about a week, so while I’m waiting, what can you all tell me about mast cell tumors? He is a Labrador, 8 years old.
Thanks

Hi @sunkistbey

My heart dog had a mast cell tumor a year ago. He was 13 years old. Unfortunately his was quite aggressive and we lost him rather quickly. I got a lot of information from the Facebook groups for Mast Cell tumors. Feel free to PM me.

I’ll try to find my thread from last year and post a link to it.

1 Like

The vet put him on Benadryl as a precaution until the blood work comes back. I wonder if I should put him on Tagamet as well.

I had three lumps removed from my dog several years ago. Two of them were mast cell tumors, and the vet took out wide margins. One on her back had erupted and was oozing and bothering her. She now has a little divot on her back where one was, but it’s been at least 5 or 6 years, and she’s still doing just fine. She has sprouted a few more lumps, but they seem to be benign, and at 12 years old, I don’t think I want to keep chopping parts of her off.

1 Like

I had a 9yo lab with a mast cell tumor on his lip. He was healthy otherwise so we had it removed with wide margins and he lived another 6 years. We did put him down because of a large abdominal tumor but we never did diagnostics on it due to his age and condition. This was at least 15 years ago so I’m sure the prognosis is just as good or better now (depending on size and location). Jingles!

1 Like

Thanks for the jingles and help. The sample won’t go out until Tuesday because of President’s Day, so waiting will be tough. Right now it’s open and draining, but like a true horse person all my furniture is covered and has seen better days.

2 Likes

I had a Lab cross who had one mast cell tumor removed from the head when he was 7. Then he had other two removed when he was 9. I was told they were very aggressive and the vet suggested to amputate one leg but we didn’t agree (we are talking about 20 years ago). Anyway the vet took away a large margin and little Gerry made it to 18 years old without other lumps

1 Like

My brother’s dog just got diagnosed with one in his neck, just today. They couldn’t find that it had spread so surgery Thurs for him.

OP fingers crossed for your dog!

1 Like

I lost my boy 6 years ago to a very aggressive case of mast cell cancer; by the time it became visible/palpable it had already spread to his chest. But outcomes with mast cell tumors vary wildly, so don’t assume worst case right off.

I hope the needle aspiration shows nothing is amiss.

1 Like

A ketogenic diet can be helpful for mast cell tumors.

Check out the Ketopet website too.

2 Likes

Finally got the results back. No mast cells! When the vet told me I started sobbing with relief.
Thank you for all the advice and support, I really appreciate it.

5 Likes

Yahooooo! :partying_face: That’s a good news!!!

1 Like