Unlimited access >

Mastitis cream for mud fever - t’is the season

Trusted vet says nothing else works as well so don’t waste time/money.

Can’t get their recommended product here any more (Ontario). Many here recommend Today or Tomorrow - either one better? Or alternate product? I have a PO Box I can ship to across the border but needs to get ordered ASAP to make it in time for when I go across next Saturday. Worth the expense and hassle to order a bunch or tubes?

Watertown Tractor Supply cannot sell any more - a few online sources require a prescription.
Help is much appreciated.

It seems that PBS Animal Supply might be an option.

Yes I’ve also looked at the many threads for treatment options…….
And I know there are many many ways people treat.
Wanting to try and start with this Plan A.

Try honey.

I know that sounds crazy. But honest. Try honey. Any good local non-pasteurized stuff. Manuka is awesome but pricey.

Clean fetlocks off, nicely, nothing too harsh or stripping. Apply honey, preferably overnight so it can soak in/help while in. If you can, slather on another thick layer before turning out.

In my experience, and I’ve had some need to haul to OVC as 3+ rounds of IV antibiotics did not work and now we have bigger problems, this was the cure.

And also, madbarn copper:zinc - double dose or one bag, then taper down to maintenance dose. Ontario is high iron, we forget that. The sensitive ones need more help.

Ooohhhh unpasteurized honey-right!
Never thought of that - thanks! Last spring was fine -but this year has resulted in a few living arrangement changes so the stress of it has perhaps contributed.
Picking up Mad Barn tomorrow :slight_smile:
Hopefully the weather will allow a nice clean up and trim.

Honey is one of the few and only anti-bacterial and anti-fungals out there. Magic sauce.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

I don’t think you can get Today or Tomorrow without a prescription at all anymore. Most/all abx are now behind a prescription restriction afaik.

2 Likes

If so - I guess that solves that problem!
I’ll call a few 1-800 places Monday morning - nobody open now.

Get a script from your vet.

Would that work - Ontario prescription purchasing from US source?

No idea but your vet may be able to order it in for you? They must prescribe it in Canada to dairy cow clients??

Maybe - will call the clinic Monday am and ask.

There may have been audible wailing the day I found out Special Formula was discontinued. It was a miracle goo. It was the Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for all manner of weird skin things.

You could ask to try Cefalak or Spectramast but they don’t have the drug combo that SF had.

Other than that, daily application of extra strength Desitin can work well. Smoosh it in and leave it alone. Repeat the next day. Avoid the scrubbing and scab picking we all think we need to do.

Also check threads here for diet tips - particularly copper and zinc. Knock on wood mine hasn’t had an issue since I added masses of both. The bacteria is definitely present where I board as there are several others that go through the Desitin Dance during mud seasons.

1 Like

The formula I learned on COTH lo these many years ago has never failed me: equal parts diaper rash cream, cortisone cream, triple antibiotic cream, and either athlete’s foot cream or monistat. Mix it up, put on without picking scabs, apply daily. I do wash the mud off and towel dry before applying. I also try to do at night so he has 12 hours or so out of the mud with the cream on.

I have a gray with 4 whites and he tends to get scratches more in the summer, but it’s been so wet this year that he’s had a patch this winter too. The magic combo still works even in the wet.

Just one of the great tips I’ve gotten from COTH.

ETA: I know you weren’t looking for other options but here’s one if you need a Plan B or C or…

3 Likes

it should work. when I was still practicing medicine (retired) my patients had my scripts filled in Canada to save money.

I was able to get some from Valley Vet last year even though it should have been Rx by that time. So long as it wasn’t being shipped to California, it all seemed ok? But I was using it for thrush.

For mud fever, I like Entederm/Animax (you do need a script for this…my vet usually has some on hand) after a clorohex. shampoo. Then cover with Equiderma Zinc (less gross than Desitin IMO and good for white legs to keep bugs and sun off).

Thanks - I may just go that route as it seems like a huge hassle to try and get an official vet-recommended product. Thank you!

All these antibiotics that used to be OTC and are now RX are permitted to be sold OTC until the new RX packaging is in hand–that is, the old stuff in stock with OTC packaging can be sold OTC. Once it’s gone, it’s gone, though.

I’ve picked up a few things, too, post “script required” but buying “OTC label” stock. Load up while you can!

Ah thanks for the explanation! Didn’t take me an entire box to heal the thrush (thankfully!!) but that is good to know!

Great to know – I wish the exchange was better because I would stock up on as much as I could. Lol

@Altertopic In terms of getting close to SF, this mixture is probably as close as you find. I personally wouldn’t bother with the antifungal since scratches is bacterial and SF never had an anti-fungal component and cured scratches really well.

Positive update for today – the 24 hours of Bag Balm (which is all the local feed store had at the time) seems to have loosened, soothed and softened everything up enough so I could gently clean the areas, scissor off the feathers best I could and apply the COTH special concoction!

Now to decide if I want to invest in a boatload of Today or Tomorrow as well for the inevitable next round.

Thanks all. Happy Spring lol.

1 Like