Unlimited access >

Max And The Dentist

Max is the saintly gelding I bought last September. There were some deferred maintenance issues which I have been addressing. I have a wonderful farrier and had an extensive PPE done with a ton of rads.

The dentist came out last week and had to end up pulling a tooth, which has limited his meal options. She did not pack the hole, and he is eating three mashes a day of beet pulp pellets, alfalfa pellets and his regular grain. He will keep eating the mashes for two weeks. He was getting a mash in the elate afternoon just as part of his regular feed routine.

He looks fine. Happy. Eating up everything and licking the plate. I am feeling that I want to wait another week to start riding again. But the dentist said riding this coming week would be okay. The pulled tooth was way in the back and loose anyway.

I am amazed that this horse is as quiet and steady and such a trier, despite such a messed up mouth.
Sheilah

6 Likes

It sounds like he is doing well. I am taking my horse in tomorrow for a head x-ray. She has a molar that has fallen apart in pieces over the last few years. We need to see the state of the roots. Eventually the roots need to come out. I hope we can wait awhile but I suppose sooner than later is better. All but a little of the erupted tooth is gone so they will have to dig out the roots :grimacing:.

I will have to check on after care as I would have to buy pellets and BP. Fingers crossed it is a situation we can monitor for a bit. No infection apparent at this point which is why we want an x-ray to check the state of the roots.

If she has something done, I don’t intend to ride for at least a couple weeks. I can do some Surefoot pad work, hand walking and some in-hand work in the meantime.

Susan

1 Like

Stock up if the tooth is pulled. Max is getting 20 lbs of alfalfa pellets, soaked with BP pellets. It is amazing how many bags he will go through.
Sheilah

Yep, I will have to do that. Kyra won’t need that much. She is an easy keeper (thank goodness?) but I will still have to stock up. Again hoping it is something we can just keep an eye on for now.

Susan

1 Like