Unlimited access >

Maximum Sercurity and Stage 1 Lamness in ALL 4 limbs, feltlocks, hocks, gaskins -- Why is this okay with racing industry

“Maybe Maximum Security will retire when he’s ready to retire. He is getting a break for now…”

. I’m just curious how he will run without all the drugs. Either fantastically because he is a really nice horse, or up to his full capacity whatever that may be, without the drugs as he is a very nice horse.

“You parachuted in here, and started with a bunch of blather comparing your horse to MS. Not really a great analogy to draw. You might want to start again…”

I NEVER said my horse was MS however, I did say however, I wouldn’t work a lame horse. Sorry if you misunderstood my post, That was not my intention.

There is no doubt in mind that the trainer of MS knew what they were doing. Otherwise, why would they give a horse a painkiller daily? My point… instead of resting that horse as they should have, they were running him into the ground…

Are you sure that what the horses were being juiced with would be defined as a painkiller?

2 Likes

I came here to say the same… It’s been a long time since I’ve watched any horse go and thought, that horse looks 100% sound… It’s not limited to racing.

A 1 out of 5 on a circle, from the top lameness vet in the US (if not the world…)… that really means that the average eye would not even see that lameness. 1 out of 5 is intermittent, inconsistent, and subtle.

One thing to consider…

Not all laminitis is equal. When most people hear “laminitis” they think the extreme, separation of laminae, on the road to founder, etc… Laminitis is a general term for inflammation of the laminae - minor inflammation of the laminae (without any separation) is still clinically laminitis.

Just something to think about; unless you’ve seen the rads and x-rays yourself, I wouldn’t assume this was a case of this horse racing on totally sunken hooves on all four feet. He likely just has inflammation of the laminae – which is unfortunately very common in racing due to concussion + working at speed… It’s hard work. It doesn’t always mean the horse is about to have his pedal bone rotate and sink through the sole, though.

You’d really be surprised.I’ve attended a lot of thorough PPEs and vettings in my time and seen more horses with subclinical laminitis (“just” inflammation) than without.

8 Likes

That’s patently untrue, and a sign of true ignorance when it comes to the spectrum of lameness. For instance, Grade 1 lameness due to UFP. Work or rest? If you choose rest, please tell us how the horse will get sound?

Honestly if you are just here to be combative, do it with intelligence.

11 Likes

“… what the horses were being juiced with would be defined as a painkiller?”

There is an earlier post on this site that addresses your questions that you may wish to refer to for additional information on the doping scandal and the trainer of MS. Bloodhorse also has a pretty detailed article you wish to refer.

According to the CIA and FDA the drugs administered were illegal unapproved new animal drugs intended for use as pain killers, anti-inflammatories or drugs intended to affect performance. According to several reports, one of their suppliers provided a drug intended to mask the presence of “cocaine,” in TBs. Pick your poison…

One thing that came out from the articles the drugs administered by the trainer of MS to him and his barn mates in no way benefited the horses.

1 Like

[QUOTE=penelopeandthecats@gmail.com;n10605431]
“… what the horses were being juiced with would be defined as a painkiller?”

There is an earlier post on this site that addresses your questions that you may wish to refer to for additional information on the doping scandal and the trainer of MS. Bloodhorse also has a pretty detailed article you wish to refer.

According to the CIA and FDA the drugs administered were illegal unapproved new animal drugs intended for use as pain killers, anti-inflammatories or drugs intended to affect performance. According to several reports, one of their suppliers provided a drug intended to mask the presence of “cocaine,” in TBs. Pick your poison…

One thing that came out from the articles is that the drugs administered by the trainer of MS to him and his barn mates in no way benefited the horses.

1 Like

Then would more than likely would have been fine working Maximum Security since his lameness was not obvious in a straight line, only in a circle. Do you soundness check all your horses on a circle before riding?

[edit]

1 Like

To the parties that have felt the need to curse at me or attack me, please refrain from doing so. REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO RESPOND IF YOU DISAGREE. After all, I’m not the one doping up horses and running them into the ground. Better yet direct your anger at parties that feel it is acceptable to do so.

For those that TRULY WISH TO HAVE AN INTELLIGENT EXCHANGE AND are interested the Stage 1 in MS was due to bone bruising. An article on bone bruising was posted on November 7, 2017, By Kentucky Equine Research Staff at https://ker.com/equinews/bone-bruise…uine-athletes/

The article reads in part. “ Horses engaged in athletic pursuits are at risk for skeletal damage. Bucked shins, bone chips, and fractures are commonplace in the world of high-performance horses, but other problems, like bone bruises, are less ordinary.

A bone bruise is an injury to subchondral bone, which is the bone layer that abuts cartilage in weight-bearing joints. Subchondral bone is rife with blood vessels, which not only ferry oxygen and nutrients to the bone but also to the underlying cartilage. Bone bruises are usually brought on by repetitive trauma and subsequent insult during racing or training. Inflammation associated with the injury causes degeneration of healthy subchondral bone, thus compromising its strength and integrity.

if insufficient time is afforded for healing, the remodeling process is disturbed, and over time the subchondral bone thickens and becomes less flexible. Repeated overloading of diseased bone results in bone bruises and pain. Damage may also occur to corresponding joint cartilage, which may compound soundness issues. As most horse owners know, destruction of cartilage leads to the development of degenerative joint disease, or arthritis,” she continued.
Bone bruises are most often diagnosed in horses trained at high intensity, such as Thoroughbreds and Standardbreds, and problems manifest primarily in the fetlocks. High-impact work exposes the horse to the traumatic forces needed for a bone to become denser and then subsequently bruise. …

Treatment of bone bruises involves primarily rest and recovery. Unlike certain soft tissue injuries, veterinarians often suggest that horses with bone bruises be turned out into a small field for several months and allowed to move….”

1 Like

Snaffy’s cousin?

5 Likes

[quote="“penelopeandthecats@gmail.com,post:26,topic:466833”]

For god’s sake stop and take a breath. Calm down. Why on earth do you think the CIA had anything to do with this?

You write as if you are very young. No one who cares about TB racehorses is happy about doping. It is upsetting.

You, however, don’t seem to be understanding much of what you are reading, and you are shouting at the wrong people.

8 Likes

I’m thinking one of Batuello’s lackeys.

“You, however, don’t seem to be understanding much of what you are reading…”.

I completely understand the Kentucky Equine Research Staff at https://ker.com/equinews/bone-bruise…uine-athletes/ article… would you like to discuss it? Perhaps, I have missed something. I am never one to turn down the opportunity to learn.

You seem to be unaware that the FBI and CIA were the lead agencies on the investigation and the FDA provided support for the unapproved new drug violations.

Take care.

1 Like

I can’t believe y’all are arguing with a troll named Penelope and the cats. :lol:

I appreciate those who had the patience to quell the drivel the troll tried to stir up.

So how about this quarantine? :winkgrin:

4 Likes

Why not “Penelope and the cats. ?”:lol: Penelope was my yellow Lab and the cats are 3 Siamese that she raised from orphan kittens. What you don’t like that either? . What is a “Texarkana,” located in Maryland?

1 Like

When it’s full of relabeled drugs that don’t test by a trainer awaiting trial and a probable prison sentence? Where did you ever get the idea people thought it was OK or it was the way everybody does it? No secret MS has not had that many starts due to soundness issues and there were rumors but he looked sound even to track vets and tested clean,

I agree on the difficulty of diagnosing grade 1 lameness. Especially in young, fit, energetic horses. It took advanced diagnostics by the top vet in the country with an unlimited budget to find the specifics here. Did you have any imaging work done on your mare to determine she was OK for light work?

[edit]

6 Likes

“When it’s full of relabeled drugs that don’t test by a trainer awaiting trial and a probable prison sentence.” - I assume you referring to what is legally called an unapproved new drug because in fact the product has not been reviewed and approved by the FDA for its “intended use.” I’m not sure what your point is here, as the product was not “relabeled,” by the legal FDA definition… it was just plain old illegal unapproved new drug.

Did you have any imaging work done on your mare to determine she was OK for light work? - Thanks for asking,. yes I did and that was why she was “retired” She had some stiffness in her left hock, we could not figure out why and just to make sure that she could be ridden, I had a scan. That took my vacation money but it was money well spent. Thank you for caring.

“No secret MS has not had that many starts due to soundness issues and there were rumors but he looked sound even to track vets and tested clean,” The problem with" testing clean" is that you can only find them if you “look,” or “test” for them. He was not tested for illegal drugs, so, therefore, they will not find them and he will test clean.

Thank you for the INTELLIGENT post.

1 Like

Bwwwahhhahhhhahhaaaa!!! :lol:

EVERY athlete is 1 out of 5 lame! Hell 3 out of 5 is a good day for most horseman.

7 Likes

I’m always suspicious of inflammatory posts by long-time posters with the extensive forums history of 14 posts :rolleyes:

8 Likes

You’d be wrong, then.

6 Likes