Mb civil suit rulings 11/15/2022

Doesn’t someone (ie: the plaintiff) have to raise the issue?

Also, there’s a lot of case law in NJ on issue preclusion when there is a conviction or a plea to a crime that involves intent.

But here we have the exact opposite - a verdict that says there was no intent. So, how do you split out the verdict?

Also, if the plaintiff were to raise the issue, how does that change when SGF (and RC) weren’t parties to the original criminal trial and has no opportunity to raise any defense in that trial?

SGF has stated repeatedly that they are disputing all the facts of the case. They haven’t had a chance to do so yet, so it seems like that might be important.

14 Likes

Yes! Totally - one party would have to raise the issue and to be honest I’m not sure which side benefits more. With the lower burden of proof on LK they may not feel like there is not much risk in having to re-present proof where as MB’s team might worry about having to reprove mental state? But also, evidence rules are more lax and with the counter claims MB will be able to introduce more that is potentially damaging to LK.

And I have no idea how the verdict would shake out. Its complicated by the fact that it assumes the act was committed but there isn’t really anything to show the jury arrived at that conclusion except a sealed verdict form and the verdict itself, and the verdict/insanity defense doesn’t translate to the civil context. So I genuinely have no clue how it plays out and am interested to see.

8 Likes

Logically then you must also agree that the judge is incorrect for stating that MB was found guilty of attempted murder, but not criminally liable. Glad we finally cleared that up.

14 Likes

Consider our attempts to educate a form of community service. Plus, it’s amusing to see people proving themselves wrong with their own comments :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13 Likes

I realize that it probably won’t help anybody with the civil case, but I still have a feeling that they arrived at that verdict as a compromise between jurors who had different opinions on the case. Obviously, there is no way to prove that theory.

15 Likes

Juries certainly don’t have to follow the “rules” if they don’t want to. It’s just as likely they felt he needed mental health help and wanted to make sure that happened. So, there you go RI.

11 Likes

It is a perfectly logical scenario you present given one act was straight NG and the other NGRI. If one were to believe the story as presented by LKs version there should be NO not guilty’s.

7 Likes

I think it’s the arrogance combined with the ignorance that is truly :astonished:

21 Likes

I think the verdict shows the belief the jury had in Mr. B since he asked for the NGRI.

6 Likes

No, BigMama, I do not agree that the judge is incorrect for stating that MB “was found guilty of attempted murder, but not criminally liable.”

That’s your position. I understand your position but disagree with it.

Does anyone want to explain the difference between a ruling and dicta?

lectlaw.com/def/d047.htm

For some reason I can’t copy/paste.

2 Likes

Dicta:

The part of a judicial opinion which is merely a judge’s editorializing and does not directly address the specifics of the case at bar; extraneous material which is merely informative or explanatory.

Ruling:

a court’s decision on a matter presented in a lawsuit

21 Likes

That would be awesome, and maybe even a movie.

Right up until LK sues the author.

9 Likes

For me it’s the error in premise that irritates.

9 Likes

I’d be happy with a book of his artwork.

The added bonus is it would be harder for her to sue him over.

18 Likes

Oh, I love the idea of a book of Michael’s artwork!

4 Likes

When the judge says a person has 10 days, is that business days or regular days?

https://www.njcourts.gov/attorneys/rules-of-court/computation-time

2 Likes

Exactly - at State expense. Little did the jury know how long even the initial process would take, how the recommendations were ignored, how long the next transfer would take, and the quality of treatment he may or may not be receiving. I can’t believe the people of NJ are aware of how wasted their tax payer dollars are being spent on facilities with no policies or procedures, or if they exist they aren’t followed.

9 Likes

Thanks! I wondered about that.

1 Like