Mb civil suit rulings 11/15/2022

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Perhaps lawsuits are how she earns her $$. I wonder how the CBS suit is moving along? Perhaps they will ignore her filings, subpoenas, etc and allow her to waste her own $$ on a frivolous suit.

13 Likes

While a first-person recounting would be an intriguing read, the easiest way to forego any nasty threats would be to have MB sell his story to a proven novelist, like a talented ghost writer who also works in fiction. Then the names and certain locations get altered yet the crux of the story remains the same, with the popular “based on a true story” tagline.

14 Likes

Question - I might have missed it, so excuse the question if it was obvious. What happened with the whole Kirby Kanarek (@Seeker1) and the transcripts? Was it one of the things that the scope needed to be more clear? But she will still have to provide the transcripts once the scope is clarified?

3 Likes

Yes, that was one of the things where the scope has to be more clear. Since that original subpoena came from Mr Deininger, on behalf of MB, he now has 9 days to reissue a more narrow subpoena.

10 Likes

Thank you for clarifying.
The response kind of put them together.

So the magical transcripts will have to be produced.
Glad to know that Kirby Kanarek @Seeker1 will still have to produce the often bragged about transcripts.
And Jonathan Kanarek (@Inigo-montoya) will have to produce records in the same time frame, once the scope is clarified.

9 Likes

If true then MB should be furious at the jury. They felt he was innocent but condemned him to where he doesn’t know when or if he will be released? He could have just as easily gotten help without being in a position where a judge(who apparently by his comments has a feeling MB was faking insanity) has to rule when MB can be released. This theory is crazy, imo.

1 Like

Interesting. So LK can also question the results of the criminal trial and claim at the civil trial MB was not insane at the time of the shooting? Would this be similar to how while O.J was found innocent in the criminal trial, he was ordered to pay in the civil trial to the victims family?

There was significant evidence of OJ’s guilt due to excellent forensic evidence gathering. That is completely opposite to this case where there is zero evidence of Barisone shooting anyone. It could be a tough hill to climb if she goes that route with all Barisone’s team will be allowed to present that was barred from the criminal trial.

11 Likes

I don’t agree there was zero evidence against MB however thanks for a polite response! OJ criminal trial jury must have not accepted the extensive evidence and MB criminal jury accepted whatever evidence was presented. But I really don’t want to retrial the trial here.
More interested in how the civil trial will proceed.

2 Likes

That damn “if it doesn’t fit you must acquit” glove gambit.

4 Likes

I think based on his 48 hours interview he would acknowledge that he needed help and an evaluation. He got that, and was deemed fine to enter an outpatient program. If he is furious at anyone, he should be furious with a judge who punitively decided to take a footnote, that was probably influenced by Kanarek lies, from people who had never treated him over his actual treatment team’s recommendation because they got showed up in a trial. And yes, judges and prosecutors take their records seriously. They don’t like it when the state loses.

21 Likes

I think this is going to be a hard sell. A private training facility/residence is not like a public square or shopping mall. The owner is allowed to ‘exclude’ people from that property in ways that cannot be done in truly public areas. There is also the concept of the people on the property being ‘invitees’ not the general public. Everyone on the property had to be ‘invited’ or allowed by MB, be they boarder, farrier, vet, or Stephen Colbert. No one can roll up to a facility like that and film or wander around and check things out or pet the horses, etc. It’s a private facility.

Furthermore, they are going to face an uphill battle claiming that no expectation of privacy attaches to calls made in his office. I don’t envy whomsoever has to cobble together a coherent response to all this.

23 Likes

Oh, I agree with you. It’s going to be a really hard sell. I don’t envy the person responding to this claim either.

It will be interesting for sure to see what they come up with.

11 Likes

Without disrespecting the filmmakers or the subjects or the content, this looks like thousands of pitch decks/websites I got as an acquisitions executive. I think there’s some gorgeous footage and the case does sound like a landmark, but I wouldn’t consider him a producer or film executive, rather a hanger on with links to an interesting story. Curious where this film will land… and whether it will look beyond the original case, but I think it’s hilarious that he has a film company website set up.

11 Likes

Lawyer here. The background / procedural posture at the beginning is not a finding of fact or a ruling. The judge here did find certain facts such as Barisone’s requests for production, as written, are overly burdensome and vague. He also found that LK had sufficient reason not to attend a deposition in person and that the defendants didn’t satisfactorily show that in person deposition is necessary. He also found that Barisone’s amended counterclaims were not barred as a matter of law. No findings were made as to the underlying claims in the case or the facts with respect to anyone’s particular injury, as those issues were not before the court at this time—only the motions before it, which dealt with other facts.

34 Likes

Can we pin this too? Thank you!

4 Likes

This is hilarious. You state in one post that you know he was not found guilty of attempted murder, but you can’t bring yourself to say that the judge was wrong when HE says MB was found guilty of attempted murder. The cognitive dissonance must be making your brain explode :joy:

Flat earthers also disagree with my position on the shape of the planet. It doesn’t make them less wrong, less willfully ignorant, and less obtuse.

27 Likes

Most of us have no problem understanding that. Despite your excellent explanation, a few will still refuse to grasp it.

16 Likes

From the website:

Based upon the landmark settlement reached in that case, the company produced its first film entitled Boy Scout’s Honor which has been selected for screening at the Portland Film Festival on October 12, 2022. The Company has worldwide distribution of Boy Scout’s Honor with Gravitas and Wide. The Company is currently working on several new documentary film projects.

Thank you! But what you have outlined above assumes people follow instructions without fail and that they have no biases that may exert pressure on their decisions. Having served on a jury in a similar case (inasmuch as it involved a non-fatal shooting), I have seen the machinations of a jury. Isn’t it true that it is reasonable to think that a jury might have found the fundamental facts of the case confusing and were not convinced that he shot her, but found the NGRI verdict the easiest path to a verdict? (i.e. jury nullification)?

I don’t think we (g) can assert that the jury’s findings mean that the state proved he shot her. I certainly didn’t find their argument compelling and remain unconvinced that him shooting her is any more likely than her being shot in a scuffle. We haven’t heard from the fact finders.

9 Likes