Mb civil suit rulings 11/15/2022

But there is no 183 day requirement in FL State Statutes. That requirement bounces back to the state you were paying state income tax in. That state won’t relinquish your tax obligation until you’ve been in FL for 183 days.

15 Likes

I copied and pasted the part about establishing residency in FL; here it is again:

How long does it take to establish residency in Florida for tax purposes?

Most states implement what is known as the 183-day rule, which requires that a person reside in Florida for at least 183 days (more than six months) to be considered a resident.

During the 183 day window, it is also wise to follow a Florida residency checklist to ensure that you have demonstrated your intent to call Florida your permanent home.

Also here:

1 Like

Learn something new all the time with COTH:

“High registration fees and insurance rates can lead drivers to consider registering their vehicle in another state, which sounds like a good idea because it could save drivers money. However, other than a few exceptions, registering and insuring your vehicle in a different state than where you live is illegal.”

“States Where Your License and Car Registration Don’t Have to Match

Delaware
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Massachusetts
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania”

So FL vehicle tags = FL residence

8 Likes

I’m guessing Radar O’Reilly from MASH.

2 Likes

When we became residents of Florida we got our drivers license within a week of arriving, with our local address and that was it. We want to keep our house in the north for the summer months, so I have to stay out of that state for 183 days per year. I don’t have to spend 183 days in Florida, I can be wherever I want. We keep close track too and if we’re getting close we drive 25 miles to another state and stay in a cabin on a lake for awhile. Just have to make sure to use credit cards to establish the dates we are gone. Believe me, the state I lived in for 60 years has checked closely on our whereabouts for 15 years.

13 Likes

But again, that’s tax law. Not residency.

Here’s what FL says:

https://dos.myflorida.com/library-archives/research/florida-information/new-residents/residency-requirements/

14 Likes

Otherwise, you would have to pay income tax in the state up north, correct?

6 Likes

Correct. They did not want to lose our tax dollars.

8 Likes

People do it with horse trailers all the time.
Or did.
Maine is a common one I see here in NY.

Rubyroo has been banned. Our apologies for the delay in linking the account to a previously banned user.

65 Likes

“So FL vehicle tags = FL residence”

and Florida voter registration card = FL residence

5 Likes

Thank you!

12 Likes

OMG ! ! Thanks.

29 Likes

oh thanks, that seems important.

Of course we wonder which one. But understand silence in this matter.

37 Likes

Thank you.

4 Likes

That explains some of my posts, then.

11 Likes

For Pete’s sake. MHG testified that they spent the winter season in FL, from November through April or May. That is easily 5-6 continuous months. One would imagine during the summer season, there may have been need or occasion to visit the Florida farm, whether for maintenance or residency requirements. It would be quite easy for MB to meet the residency requirements there. In fact, probably easier to establish 183 days there than in NJ, given all the travel required for summer shows out of state, which is not a factor during the Florida season.

8 Likes

Color me not shocked.

34 Likes

I feel fairly confident that was RND.

14 Likes