MB update

If he’s not considered a danger to himself or others, why is he prohibited from having pencils?

48 Hours you mean?

3 Likes

Because it’s a facility rule.

25 Likes

Uh, maybe because that is SOP at AK?

For someone supposedly “not personally involved” with the K-Klan, you sure do always want to assume the worst about MB. :thinking:

42 Likes

It’s standard operating procedure in many mental health facilities for ALL patients. I’ve had immediate family go get inpatient treatment, and suicide prevention precautions were applied to everyone in the facility.

It’s my guess that’s how they operate at AK.

Also, if there is any recreation/mingling time between patients… if he has access to a pencil another patient who is higher risk might find a way to get ahold of it. Stuff like that can happen. Thats why it’s best to just limit EVERYONE’S access to potentially risky objects.

23 Likes

Ha. We posted at the same time. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Ekat has already stated that there is legislation pending in NJ to modify the law on victims’ rights to say that the victim does not have the right to attend these hearings. This implies that until that legislation passes, as it stands, the victim does have the right to attend the hearing.

MG was found NGRI; that’s why he is not yet free of the NJ criminal court system. If he had been found NG, there would not a court hearing at all.

2 Likes

Wrong.

10 Likes

@ekat, since you have been so generously researching this I have a question.

I assume (gasp) that the reason the NJ legislation is adding to the law that the victim is not allowed at the Krol hearing is because NJ feels so strongly that they do not want the anyone extra there and they want to close any loop hole that might allow someone to justify coming. Not that they are changing a stance on this situation. Is this correct?

4 Likes

Fair enough. But there’s a reason it’s SOP at mental health facilities. It’s not a statement about MB in particular, but about the population he is a member of, that patients in that population can be a risk to themselves or to others.

True.

And that’s why there is a whole series of hearings subsequent to this verdict, to determine whether or not he really should be kept at a secure facility like this. If there isn’t a pressing public safety need to keep him there, then he will be released.

6 Likes

That’s what I have read. Historically, the whole reason behind the hearings being closed is to protect the medical privacy of the patient. NJ seems to feel pretty strongly about that. Historically, it has required a pretty compelling reason for the Court to allow the victim in the courtroom. The NJ legislature is in the process of rewriting the victim’s bill of rights and it appears that they want that codified for clarity going forward.

16 Likes

Are you referring to the person who testified under oath in court that she lies a lot on social media?

Just checking.

25 Likes

I’d like to take a brief moment to share that this thread has officially made a VERY annoying 80’s hair metal song pop into my head this morning.

‘Round and Round’, by Ratt.

16 Likes

:thinking:

Yes. Yes indeed.

:wink:

1 Like

See post #65 by Ekat. Are you saying my statement in bold is an inaccurate characterization of her post?

Or are you saying it is my inference that currently the victim does have the right to attend that is “wrong”?

1 Like

I agree. I was responding to Eggbutt’s assertion that it was already clear that he was not a danger to others based on the fact that he was allowed visitors. The purpose of the hearing is to determine if he poses a danger to himself or others, and the hearing has not yet happened.

2 Likes

On the issue of whether the victim is allowed to make a statement at the hearing, I’m going on the basis of what Ekat posted in my belief that the victim probably does have the right to attend.

Why do people insist on dragging into this thread LKs posting on other social media?

2 Likes

Just asking a simple procedural question about the hearing, and what’s allowed, because there’s conflicting information out on social media on this issue.

She’s a source of some of the information that conflicts with what others have posted about the procedures for these hearings.

There are a number of people with substantial professional knowledge concerning legal processes following these threads… so, I simply asked for clarification.

11 Likes

So LK is claiming on other SM channels that she will be allowed to attend a competency hearing that we clearly heard Judge Taylor state is a “closed hearing.”

CH is assuming that LK should be allowed to attend the hearing because NJ law doesn’t presently prevent it.

All of which makes me wonder if part of the scheduling delays are because there are some “discussions” occurring between the various legal entities as to whether LK can attend and make a statement. If she is insisting it is her “legal right” and is putting pressure on Schellhorn and Taylor but Bilinkas doesn’t agree due to MB’s right to medical privacy, those discussions could be very, very interesting - and perhaps even somewhat heated. Methinks Judge Taylor might be getting very, very fed up with dealing with the K-Klan by the time the hearing actually occurs, and barring a negative report from the AK professionals, I can easily imagine him releasing MB unconditionally, not only to get the whole thing over and done with, but also to do what is legally and morally right.

22 Likes