Unlimited access >

McClellan Saddle? eta McClellan-style

First I want to thank everyone for your help - I have had a lot of questions!

Second, to today’s question, does anyone have experience with a McCellan-style saddle? I am very intrigued.

1 Like

I rode in one 50 years ago, when I was young. I loved it. Lightweight, fit every horse and pony I rode. Very comfortable.

1 Like

A saddle designed to fit any horse well enough, with plenty of folded blankets under it, and survive the rough handling of an enlisted trooper in the cavalry 150 years ago. I suspect most modern riders, used to soft leather and padded seat, would not find it that comfortable.

1 Like

If riding western, get or have made, the fender flaps to go on the stirrup leathers to protect your legs from pinching. Troopers rode with tall boots so pinching was not an issue back then.

McClellan come in different seat sizes, make sure you fit in it comfortably. Usually a brass plate on the back gives the seat size. Should have brass plates around all the slots and holes, to protect saddle from strap wear when gear is tied on. The thick felt pads do a good job of horse protection from tree edges, but MUST be kept clean of dried sweat, dirt, so horse does not get rubs. A thin blanket under pad is good for getting the dirt and sweat from horse, leaving thick pad clean. Just wash the blanket as needed.

You could probably add a seat saver to cushion the ride if needed.

2 Likes

I certainly dont mean an original McClellan saddle.

What is the appeal of a McClellan style? What are you after?

I am searching for a cross between a dressage saddle and a western saddle. I want the security but not the horn and a lighter weight.

1 Like

Have you looked into endurance saddles?

3 Likes

I’m one of those people who like the saddles with hard seats, like those in the western thread. The English saddles I learned on back in the '60s all had basic seats, whether they were jumping saddles or flat saddles or cutback saddle-seat saddles.
I’ve ridden in western saddles that had padded, quilted, cushioned seats, but I like saddles as bare-bones as possible. To me “close contact” is bareback lol!

1 Like

I like the more basic saddles, too.

1 Like

Have you looked at any buena vista (plantation) saddles?

https://www.hillcrestsaddlery.com/

I don’t know this saddler. I just know I rode in a plantation saddle occasionally about 50 years ago (same place I rode in the McClellan).

1 Like

How about an Australian stock saddle. Used to be available in the US though I haven’t heard of them recently.

I did a week, for several hours a day over varied terrain, in a McCellan style saddle. I got used to it. The most comfortable minimal style, sort of western-ish saddle I’ve ever used is a French trekking/endurance saddle. Not the brand I was riding in (plenty of local, trained saddlemakers in France) but a similar design as an example: Podium Endurance saddle www.sellepodium.com

1 Like

I don’t see how any of these saddles will feel more secure than a dressage saddle?

A western saddle with swells and a prominent pommel, high cantle, coupled with wide stirrup leathers is going to feel somewhat more secure. English style leathers, slick fork, minimal cantle… no more secure feeling than any dressage saddle.

If the issue is a horse that ducks and spins, you are likely wanting swells or those ‘wings’ you see on Aussie.
If you’re feeling unsteady to the back, you are likely wanting a higher cantle to cup your bottom and catch you.

Ideas to consider:
https://www.alleganysaddlery.com/product/survivor-gently-used-sw1-2/

2 Likes