Unlimited access >

Meal prep bags that aren't ziplocs

I missed this one.
I use an Oh-Sh!t strap when I do dressage at pony club. No one has ever said anything. (I am low level and use an AP saddle, not a dressage saddle, maybe that is why?) Where is the post saying why it was not allowed?

I hate it too.
I find it one of their more annoying rules.
I will add that it might work fine for a week long show or clinic but I can not see it being anything less than frustrating for someone doing it all the time.

I think it was in ShiteDressage on Facebook that I saw the no Holy Shit Strap Pony Club rule. Maybe it’s an old one and has been abolished by now. I hope so. Used mine last night for a wild canter after time off. And they are so useful for quieting hands on occasion.

I definitely wouldn’t use paper bags. I DO get the reasoning behind it - the paper will absorb moisture, you can make a piece of bread rock-hard in a paper bag LOL But accidentally set the bag down on a spot of water and you’re toast.

Not that you even could put liquid or “gummy” supplements in a paper bag, but you shouldn’t do that with plastic either. I wouldn’t be making up more than 1, max 2 weeks worth of containers in humid conditions, unless you’re dropping a dessicant pack in there. So the idea that you must have a paper bag to pull moisture away from the powders and pellets doesn’t mean anything.

Maybe the ziplock baggie is brand dependent. I use the Ziplock brand gallon bags with the blue and pink make purple strips with no slider.

Most of mine have lasted several years. They are ugly but still seal and are waterproof. If they tear or get holes I just throw them out, but most of ours are still the originals. The twist cap containers just aren’t big enough for me to fit a full meal in.

I used dry bags for feed. Wouldn’t work as well with powdery supplements but worked great for pelleted feed.

My horse eats a high volume of feed and all of those packages just took up too much room in the fed stall! I just take a bag or part bag of feed and portion into serving buckets with beet pulp already soaked. I do put supps in small serve containers and enough of his rice bran in a separate bucket.

What about using the plastic Rubbermaid or Tupperware casserole containers you can get around the holidays 2 for like $4? Depending on your feed amounts, those will hold a feeding each and they stack. Plus they’re cheap and reusable for a very long time.

I can’t find those? Are they like the Ziploc or Glad containers that aren’t as sturdy as Rubbermaid or Tupperware containers but last quite a while? I need something that holds 2-2.5gallons (8-12 qt)

How many large bags do you need at a time and what are you putting them in to carry? If a few individual buckets would work, ask the bakery at your grocery store if they will give you some frosting buckets. They usually come in 2 and 3.5 gallon sizes, are food safe and strong. The lids aren’t the best at staying on when jostled around but Gamma lids will fit the 3.5. FYI – they throw the buckets out anyway and don’t usually mind saving them for you if asked.

Reditainers come in a variety of sizes for supplements and last forever. Just make sure to get the freezer version.

1 Like

The easy way < the right way < the PONYCLUB WAY!
That whole methodology is built around idiot-proofing safety and I appreciate it.

1 Like

those Gamma lids are THE BEST.

I take my feed in food safe buckets that I get from the big box home improvement store. Add the Gamma lid and it works great at shows. I like that it’s a very secure container that I don’t have to stash away overnight to keep it from critters that might be about. Serves as a seat in a pinch, and generally looks tidy. I’d suggest getting a second and stashing your reditainers in there.

1 Like

I use my ziplocks for a year or more. Some of my current ones have been in use for more than two years. If you wipe your finger along the “zip” each time you fill them, they continue to close well.

2 Likes

I’ve used plastic food storage containers and just used painters tape and a sharpie to label them (I.e. Monday Pm and Monday Am). The current batch is 10+ years old and held up great!

1 Like

They’re this size and shape by Rubbermaid in their Takeaways line. (This is the expensive version) you can get the Takeaways very easily starting in like September in packs of 2 or 4 for very cheap.
Sorry it took so long, i’ve been offline

Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 687965439399 Plastic Easy Find Lid Food Storage Container, 1.5 Gal, 1777163 Set of 2: Home & Kitchen

Hm. Still looking for 2+ gallon inexpensive versions here…

I use cloth bulk food bags from Etsy with snap-style paper clips (bought from staples) I try to have one colour for each horse and write their names on the baggie with a sharpie. I love this approach.

I’m sure mine last at least 6 months, using the WalMart brand with zippers. One horse gets the freezer bag, one the storage bag so they are different colors. Then I saw OP is looking for 2+ gallon options and I just don’t know… Even my very hard keeper TB’s food fit in a 1 gallon ziplock back in the day. Now I use quart size.

Ziplock makes a 2-gal size. I used to use them for one hard keeper, and they lasted just as long as the smaller ones.

Except that… they don’t work forever, but that plastic sure will be around forever. In a landfill. Forever. (1000 years, but same same) And number 4 plastic is not easily recyclable here.

Trying to get away from plastic bags - see thread title :grimacing:

2 Likes