Unlimited access >

Meal prep bags that aren't ziplocs

There are biodegrable trash and compost bags. I have no idea how long they’d last, they’re probably not terribly cheap, I have no idea if there are zippered/sealable models, but they might be an option.

The sturdy plastic containers aren’t biodegradable either, they can still get cracked, the twist lids are sure easier to use with gloves on. I don’t think there is a perfect solution :frowning:

I can not see glass being a good option at a barn. (Said because glass seems to be the favored material of many now days.)

Could you hire a seamstress to make you something that is just what you want out of fabric and some type of zipper closure?

2 Likes

Potentially something like an oilcloth bag with Velcro closure.

1 Like

True but they can be useful for decades (looking at my Tupperware drawer here :grimacing:)

2 Likes

Lunchskins makes one-gallon bags; perhaps you could contact them about developing a two-gallon size.

1 Like

Same! LOL I have old Uckele cu/zn 1lb containers that are 15 years old. They’re not in heavy use, but they are sturdy, have been dropped in the cold, and will probably live forever LOL

Maybe I should just invest in the $22/ea tupperware containers… I can leave them to my niece when I die…:joy:

1 Like

Do you have an Aunt or such that uses those big tubs of margarine that has a huge stack of containers on the shelf in the basement?
Sure they are plastic, but you are recycling them for a second job.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea… but alas she is in Scotland. However, I will take a close look at the items available in containers like that and see if they are things I would buy too!

One of the local grocery stores uses compostable produce bags and it got me thinking… would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Compostable-Trash-Bags-Unscented-Wastebasket/dp/B085NLKF3B/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=compostable%2Bbags&qid=1628531131&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1

My husband uses coffee can-style cans when he camps for multiple-day trail or endurance rides - actually Kirkland (Costco) peanut cans, but we also have some Kirkland 3-pound coffee cans which are talller but the same diameter so they use the same lids.

The lids will die from being bent as they’re pulled off but lately we’ve been getting peanuts that come in a paper “tin” with the same lid so I save some extras. The tins will last indefinitely until they sit wet (and are still usable as long as the rust is reasonable) or they get stepped on/run over.

This won’t help for those who need 2-gallon containers, but the coffee cans must be around a gallon.

Cat litter buckets? I re-use those 5 gallon Tidy Cat buckets for EVERYTHING. Water buckets, washing supplies, etc.

2 Likes

I’m still confused about what container you use to haul multiple 2 gallon ziplocs to shows because the bags can’t possibly be loose. Can’t you just put the full amount of bulk food in a small trash can or tote and scoop it out each feeding?

ETA: I mentioned frosting buckets from the grocery store above. Those are free and will be thrown in the dumpster.

Or instead of searching for one container that holds 2+ gallons (perhaps this gets heavy?), maybe each feeding gets multiple one-gallon containers.

1 Like

Here is a 10 gallon trash can I used as a nesting box for my chickens. You can get it cheaper if you poke around on Amazon and there is a matching lid that snaps on tightly.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-FG261000GRAY-Heavy-Duty-Container/dp/B005KDALYC/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=10%2Bgallon%2Btrash%2Bcan&qid=1628563967&sr=8-6&th=1

Well, but it’s for when I go away and want someone else to feed my horse too :neutral_face:

I’ll ask next time I’m there!

Still confused. LOL Are you also packing the ziplocs for traveling with a horse, or just at the barn when you leave?

Both!

Went back to look and it seems you only have one horse. That’s what I couldn’t understand.

Not sure how many containers you need but restaurant equipment might be a good place to look, or reusable shopping bags. I have some Baggus that have lasted 5 years of heavy use and laundering.

1 Like