Unlimited access >

Meal prep for my heavey horse, can I steam multiple hay bags in advance?

I was lucky enough to find a used Haygain steamer for the heavey quarter horse. Holds one meal’s worth of hay so I am cooking twice a day and it takes an hour each time. Thinking about whether I could cook several bags ahead of time on the weekend so that for a few days I would only have to cook once. Bad idea?

2 Likes

Haygain’s recommendation was to feed within 24 hours. It is kind of damp after steaming, so leaving around for a longer time would probably defeat the purpose of steaming.

7 Likes

If you have space for a fridge I wonder if you could toss steamed hay in there to keep it from fermenting? That’s the only thing I can think would help it stay good for an extended time.

1 Like

Thanks all!

I wonder if you could freeze it. That way it would stay good for a couple days at a time. Although it sounds time consuming regardless!

I just got a 24 hour clock timer on the plug and just set mine to run 1-2x a day so it would have time to cook and cool a little bit before I needed a feeding. Sure I would have to have the steamer prepped in between cycles, but one could be running at 5 am or whatever and I didn’t need to be there waiting on it.

Great idea. Probably will do the same.