Meaning of RISE in breeches

Help! Trying to figure out the meaning of “natural” rise vs “”mid rise” in RJ classics breeches. Bought the knee patch natural rise size 26 and I really love the material and the fit is just a touch too short for me in the back. The front is perfect. Legs are perfect. For reference I’m 5’ tall. Curvy and about 115-120 pounds. Depending on the month :crazy_face:. I have a tiny waist and a bubble butt and muscular thighs. Is the mid rise taller or shorter than the natural ? My go to breech has always been Rompf. But I found a pair of RJ classics on sale at smart pak. So I bought them on Black Friday. Wondered if the mid was higher. Tried live chatting and no response with customer service. Anyone have any experience with this breech ?

Not specific to RJ classics, but a natural rise is typically higher than mid-rise. Natural in this context meaning coming up to your “natural waist”. Mid rise is somewhere between low-rise and natural/high rise.

2 Likes

Thank you so much !

1 Like

If you’re talking about the RJ Classics Gulf breeches, I find them to be low rise. They are lower than mid-rise Tailored Sportsman.

1 Like

Thank you !

High rise is also becoming popular to add to the confusion

1 Like

Yes! I would like a bit higher rise in the rear but then usually in front I start looking like “Get Off My Lawn!” as the waistband approaches my boobs.

2 Likes

I have some Horze Taras in Snoop Dog High and while younger me would not have liked them, old me likes how they come up to my boobs and tame in my “I like cheese” middle. Those are more dressage breeches though.

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: love the description!

I find a higher rise defines the core more. Low rise feels sloppy.

2 Likes

As a near midget, I appreciate low rise, especially in the summer. Everything else might as well double as a shelf bra.

2 Likes

Snoop Dog High Rise. Young me would not have liked them. Middle aged me thinks they squish everything into shape.

3 Likes

I own only RJ breeches. The Gulf is their “natural rise” which I find to be higher than what I would normally consider a low rise, and is maybe an inch below the belly button. The Anna breech is their true mid-rise, which falls just below the belly button. Both sit above my hips. If you’re looking for more material in the back the Anna will do that, but you’ll also get more fabric in front too. May not be quite what you’re trying to achieve. I also find I can size down in the Anna compared to the Gulf but that is just based on my body type where my true waist is narrower than my hips.

1 Like

I find the horse pilot breeches to be much higher in the rear and super comfortable! I am taller than you but curvier with a small ish waist.

1 Like

I bought the gulf natural rise. Love them. Would just like a smoosh bit more height in the back. They’re perfect when I’m upright but if I bend over I feel like they’re right on the edge of needing to be pulled back up. I have a small waist and am very hippy and have a butt. Do you think the mid rise falls higher in the rear ?

Oohhh. That sounds promising ! Is pilot the brand?

Yes, the Annas are higher in the back, but they are cut higher in the front and the back. So if that’s not what you’re looking for, it may not be quite what you’re looking to achieve.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Breeches are such a trial and error. I appreciate your feedback and everyone else who added their thoughts!

1 Like

Horse Pilot if the brand. These are the ones I have: https://www.horsepilot.com/en-us/products/x-design-breeches-women-xde120

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think the real answer is, “it depends on the brand, especially if you’re a woman.”

In theory, low-rise is close to the crotch, mid-rise is mid-hip with about an inch below the belly button, natural rise covers it, and high-rise is slightly above (“mom jeans”). But just like you can be swimming in a pair of Old Navy Jeans and barely fit in a pair of the same size in another brand, it really depends on the model the company is using. I’m 5’1 so I’ll add that especially if you’re short, it’s kind of anything goes because nothing is designed for you.

Like, breeches fit me like pants. I wear tall boot socks under my breeches because the calves always have a ton of fabric, which affects the fit of the rest of the pants (like @endlessclimb, mid-rise is usually just “pants” for me).

Old Navy used to have a fit (sadly discontinued) called “slim curvy” which I really liked (like, it wasn’t baggy boyfriend, but it wasn’t skin-tight either), which sounds like what you’re looking for in a breech.

2 Likes