Unlimited access >

Medina Spirit Dies During Workout!

What is the percentage of animals that die under this trainer? The news said he was “devastated” by the death of the colt. Enough to change how he does business? I didn’t think so. That man is a menace to race horses.

8 Likes

Just no words.

How many three-year-olds die of heart attacks in workouts?

7 Likes

Sad, shocking news. Not sure what to make of it…

I can’t imagine a necropsy won’t be done.

Some of this convo was just “continued” in the Medina Spirit fails drug test topic.

At least, that’s where I gave my 2 cents.

2 Likes

That poor horse. Extremely sad

4 Likes

Wow, what the heck?!?

I’m pretty sure its required if he is insured.

1 Like

Plus it is mandatory at California tracks.

5 Likes

Yes insurance companies require necropsies but even if he weren’t insured the state of California requires a necropsy for any horse that dies on the grounds.

10 Likes

Not many. The sudden death is usually an aortic rupture.

5 Likes

That was the cause for KD winner Swale back in the 80’s IIRC

1 Like

I’m sad. Brave and talented horse, gone too soon. It happens. I’m glad that it did not happen in a race- could have been way worse.

2 Likes

I can’t read the article, was the person riding OK?

Yes

Forget about Baffert saying he’s devastated. I’d rather hear from the owner.

2 Likes

I sincerely hope that Medina’s notorious trainer’s public image also finally “dies on the track.”

If not this week, following the incident, then when the necropsy results are in, at the latest.

2 Likes

The necropsy may not provide any answers, sadly.

Everyone knows Jorge Navarro ran X Y Jet loaded on everything but the kitchen sink; there are recordings, emails, and text records confirming “50 syringes full”. That horse also dropped on the track from sudden heart failure (I think his was a fatal arrhythmia rather than a blown aorta). The necropsy yielded nothing linking the heart failure to doping.

1 Like

I can’t verify this, but I’ve heard multiple people say Medina died walking back to the barns after the workout. He supposedly ‘let the rider off’ before fully collapsing. Again, this is just hearsay (to my knowledge)

That has been common knowledge all along, they said that in all the articles. He was on the track though not walking back to the barn.

3 Likes