Medina Spirit fails drug test

You were asked what you meant by the “feds” and you didn’t answer. Of course you have never owned and raced thoroughbreds. It’s obvious by your negativity, your contradictory posts and your lack of knowledge. Neither of those facts are “on me.”

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism when it is given by someone who is qualified to give it. That is not the case here. You are not in any manner qualified to lecture @LaurieB or anyone else about TB racing or welfare.

3 Likes

I knew I did not imagine it… this blast from the past thread is enlightening and entertaining…
https://forum.chronofhorse.com/t/daredevil-and-super-saver-to-turkey/

…starting at about post 24ish. Sitting here icing my sore knee… so did a little search on the Racing forum.

Full disclosure… I still have that same F150 - now 13 years old.

2 Likes

I remember that.

Just like someone else (though I think the comparison ends there), she won’t back down when presented with evidence she’s wrong or just flat out making stuff up.

2 Likes

Thank you for the entertaining reading. Apparently some things never change. :roll_eyes:

My X5 turned 20 in May. :laughing:

5 Likes

Another trip down memory lane Keeneland Sept

1 Like

Wow. There’s a great deal of garbage presented as supposed knowledge in that old thread. snaffle has chutzpah, I’ll give her that. I don’t think I’d have the audacity to lie so blatantly about a topic I knew nothing about.

5 Likes

Even minimal research would have provided her with enough information to keep her from embarrassing herself with her remarks on things like the veterinary x-ray/endoscopy repository.

3 Likes

You know your life would get a lot more enjoyable if you just put me on block on these forums. You are never happy or welcoming no matter who the poster is on the forums. If you are not right, no one is. So pot… meet kettle.

Case in point; I was not referring to HISA when I mentioned “The Feds.” You made that assumption because I didn’t answer your questions. That is on you, not on me

I am not lecturing either of you on welfare of thoroughbreds. I believe a lot more could be done within the industry and the repeat shortcomings are evident in the repeat issues that keep rearing their ugly heads. The fact that Bob has as many offenses in this game is just proof in the pudding. And he is still walking a free man despite his tests back in May. I have a problem with that. Apparently you don’t.

Apparently the two of you don’t seem enjoy when someone asks more of the industry when the evidence of the shortcomings is glaring this year. There are others within the industry offering the same skepticism. So I will invite you, again, to go read the Paulick article about the honest concerns with HISA. I’ll wait.

Because had Medina Spirt been DQ’d from his Derby win, there could have been longstanding repercussions within the industry that could have barred him from racing this fall or in the Breeder’s Cup at all. The extent of those repercussions against the Baffert barn are merely a guess at this point. Add to that, the NYRA could’ve used that case judgement to back up their judgement against BB earlier this summer following his Derby Positive.

But why would they further black-eye the sport’s golden child prior to the biggest races of the season? Someone else called this outcome earlier in the thread. that no judgement against the baffert barn would be made/no further progress would be made until after the Breeders’ Cup concluded.

1 Like

Speaking for myself (not the “two of you”) I read it 5 days ago.

Do you understand the work that is being done to address the problems that affect TB racing, including the Baffert situation? You don’t seem to understand that no one is happy with how the Kentucky Derby betamethasone positive has been handled.

3 Likes

You think he should be arrested and imprisoned?

6 Likes

Your “pot meet kettle” makes no sense. I re-read the Keeneland thread to see if I was unkind or unwelcoming “no matter who the poster is on the forum” and I don’t see that it is true.
I don’t consider questioning a post that makes no sense to me as being “unkind.”

I suppose I should leave that judgement up to others.

5 Likes

A million other things could have happened too.

Your scenario seems very unlikely based on the way DQ’s have always been handled in racing. A DQ in a single race in Kentucky–even an important one–has no bearing on whether or not the trainer is allowed to race in other states, or if he would be allowed to race horses months later.

In fact in the entire history of horseracing, a single DQ has NEVER barred a trainer from continuing to train and race horses.

The fact that you can imagine something happening is a very long way from making it so. [See previous threads cited above.]

8 Likes

You know what I was implying. Don’t act dumb. This should’ve been dealt with swiftly back in June. Instead; it is now approaching December and not a single conclusion has come, Bob and his stable continue to race (although props to those tracks who have enforced increase scrutiny of his horses), and Mr. Untouchable continues on his merry way.

Carry on

The issue, Skydy is you question everyone and anyone who has an opinion different than yours.
And you continue on your harassing and unkind ways. You are not a nice person and your responses to me and others’ on this board have proven your ways. You continue to sit here and ridicule someone who has a very passionate opinion on the welfare and drug issues (and not a wrong one!) in this sport for having an opinion, when you yourself refuse to look in the mirror.

Again, put me on block and maybe not seeing my responses will ease your blood pressure.

I think it’s very clear that I understand that there is work being done to address the problems affecting racing. If you think otherwise than you are misinformed.

My point is I don’t think enough is being done. And Bob Baffert’s case is a poster child for it. Not just his positive test but when other racing jurisdictions (NYRA) try to impose sanctions against him for his wrongdoings; he is never held accountable and they are overridden. There are people in racing trying to do good and improve everyday; and then they are overshadowed or even set-down for trying to do right. At least we can say NYRA had the balls to try and do something. Good on them.

Do I think Bob Baffert is an inherently bad guy? Not necessarily. The fact that his horses’ are testing positive proves that his management and oversight is lapse. It doesn’t prove that he isn’t potentially drugging horses behind the scenes to get potential advantages(maybe he is, maybe he isn’t. Unless a group of grooms/insiders come forward with a smoking gun) At this point, the only conclusions we have is that his management is lapse on proper withdrawal periods and he is cutting it too close and putting himself at risk for positive tests. His repercussions for doing so have not been stiff enough to enforce change in his stable and he has become a repeat offender. His case is a poster-child for the mishandling of positive tests (on big and small stages) and that there is a lack of follow-through on cases such as this and a lack of stiff penalties for such infractions.

Do I think change is coming to the sport? I do. But I can’t pass judgement on a racing authority that has yet to take the helm. Talk to me two years from now; and I will have a more honest opinion on HISA. I have faith in that organization and I hope that the organization exceeds all expectations.
But I also think this most recent, high profile case is putting further black eyes on the sport and the lack of follow-through on this is inexcusable.

1 Like

Yes, they could have. But while my scenario seems unlikely; it’s still a plausible scenario of what could have played out if swift action was taken in this case. Again, we don’t know unless it’s happened. And Bob being held responsible for his actions this year has yet to happen. Which is the problem.

Did we get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning???

Frankly, I’ve had many discussions with skydy (via messages) where she and I differed in opinion and they were good discussions. No harassing, no ridiculing, nothing other than discussion.

Perhaps you need to take a deep breath and not take offense when someone asks you a question (and more than skydy has asked you questions that you’ve not agree with) instead of flouncing off in a huff.

Oh, and if someone asks you a question, try answering it…

6 Likes