Medina Spirit fails drug test

“Chain of custody” essentially means an authorized person could vouch for its whereabouts at all times. So, let’s say I’m the vet doing drug sampling. I draw the blood. I label it. I record it and I sign/initial somewhere on that record. It goes into my pack until I pass it on to the next authorized person. They examine it, agree that it is labeled and appears as expected, and they sign off on it. In most cases that middle man isn’t the tester, they’re a transporter or the front desk. So they get it to the person testing it, who also takes a look at it, makes sure the labels and appearance match what’s expected and they sign off on it. Everyone along the chain is expected to verify what they have and sign off that no unauthorized person handled it and the labels match the expected sample every step of the way. Each name who signs of on it is a link in the chain of custody, so that you can’t say “well, we don’t know how it got from A to B, which means my rival, Cheaterton, may have gotten his hands on it and made a switcheroo!”

The chain is broken if: it gets handled by an outside party (someone who might adulterate the sample or switch it for a clean/dirty one), it goes missing in someone’s care, the label doesn’t match (names are important - if I say my sample is from Medina Spirit, but I label the tube with his barn name, we could have a problem.) Honestly? The most common break in the chain of custody is something silly, like somebody puts it in a freezer and it gets lost or goes missing. At this level, I’m sure the baggies for transport are sealed and are only broken by authorized individuals, so you’re going to pretty quickly find evidence that somebody popped your baggy open and broke the chain of custody.

1 Like

Yeah that’s why I have the question. From what LaurieB said the owner picked up the sample and mailed it. How do they ensure the owner doesn’t tamper with it when they go to mail it to the lab.

My impression after reading the article, is that when the writer said “in the hands of the horse’s connections”, they didn’t mean it literally, they meant the disposition ie which lab it was to be sent to, was in the hands of the horse’s connections.

The Courier Journal article actually said “the sample is still at the backside test barn at Churchill Downs”.

2 Likes

@Ponycatraz, I didn’t realize your question was directed to me. When I was handed the sample, it was thoroughly sealed and labelled. Both I and the vet who gave it to me took a picture of it at that time. So if there had been a question at the other end about whether or not it was opened, it could be compared to what the sample looked like when it left CD.

1 Like

IDK about horses but back when I was working for CPS we ran hair tests on a lot of parents especially if we suspected them of faking the pee tests. IIRC, depending on the drug and individual rate of hair growth, a hair test goes back 90 days. They are reasonably accurate.

Hair tests are accurate but it wouldn’t work in this instance since the drug is a legal substance that is allowed to be in the horse’s system as long as it isn’t race day in the state of KY. There would be no way of knowing how long it was given. It would work for a substance that is never allowed to be in a horse’s system at any time however.

5 Likes

This makes me wonder about deterioration of the sample and any assayable meds in it. Would that be a reason to delay the split test?

I don’t think so. The labs are quite up to date with their procedures.

I believe the samples are frozen so that would extend the viability date somewhat.

1 Like

Yes, but originally Baffert was claiming the horse never received the drug at all. A hair test would have proved that. Then he started craw fishing with the claim about the ointment. This doesn’t pass the smell test.

2 Likes

Thank you @LaurieB ! Sorry with the new format I think I replied when I should have quoted! I was wondering how they ensured the owner just didn’t do a pretty swap.

2 Likes

I am adding this here, so as not to start another drug thread. This is disappointing.

Quarter Horse people are some of the dirtiest cheats. (I’m sure there are some lovely people involved there too, before anyone jumps me over that comment).

6 Likes

Hummmm… look at where BB came from. His roots are the QH world…

4 Likes

Same with D. Wayne Lukas. If I had to guess where he learned all about loading racehorses up with steroids…just a guess, but probably not far off.

1 Like

This is great!

25 Likes

:sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Now that’s funny.

13 Likes

I love this!!!

<3

2 Likes

I don’t love it. In fact I dislike it. I am not a Baffert fan, and I don’t like his many positive tests. I am hoping that he pays the consequences for them.

However, I think the proposed naming of the horse is tasteless. Just my opinion.

6 Likes