Medina Spirit fails drug test

there are a lot of bad taste horse names.
the racecards are full with them (and Baffert contributed to a lot of them)

they reflect the Zeitgeist.
Like Covfefe and COVID

1 Like

I think they are ugly and unnecessarily in poor taste too. Wish the Jockey Club had denied them too.
Just my opinion.

3 Likes

I dunno. If it’s a cautionary tale for others, I am good with it. Do I think it will stop them? No. But it does mean that no one is above reproach.

3 Likes

It’s a situation of a legal battle over who can be the bigger jerk, IMO.

But on the topic of bad names (that also has a Baffert connection): I have a full sister to one of Bob Baffert & Mike Pegram’s earliest “big” horses that helped put both of them on the map in the 90s. His name: Isitingood.

Both Baffert and Pegram fought the JC when they initially denied the name, said it was an old QH jockey phrase “I sittin’ good” meaning you are well mounted for the race, but everyone spells it wrong to mock their accents. Yeeeaaaah. JC caved and they both went on record laughing about how they got the name past the JC.

1 Like

Why on earth is Covfefe in “bad taste”? It isn’t even a real word.

4 Likes

Context.
the poor didn’t deserve that,
I mean, it’s funny
(and it might have been taken up by Websters by now)

1 Like

Except Covfefe was named well before COVID.

If anything, her name came from the Communications Over Various Feeds Electronically for Engagement or from a tweet misspelling by the former president.which the misspelling was of coverage.

In any case, Covfefe was not named for COVID.

1 Like

LOL
I never said it was
I said there are a lot of misfortunate names in the horseworld.
COVID I believe is a 2019 warmblood though.

There is a TB racing whose name is “Name Rejected.”

5 Likes

I thought that Covfefe was a wonderfully apt name for a horse–given the time, place, and situation. The fact that the horse did well was a definite plus.

7 Likes

I’ve always thought the Jockey Club handles naming the right way as compared to other registries. I love how names reflect current events and culture because of the ability to hold off on naming a horse until their first race.

1 Like

I have one whose registered name is “It’s Just a Name”. I think someone tried and failed a lot of times, and just gave up.

I don’t know how the TBs work, but for ASBs, of which there are far fewer, you can look up on the website, and see if a name has been used. You can also reserve a name.

1 Like

It’s the same for TBs.

1 Like

I must admit, a couple of appropriate names for Maximum Security offspring have occurred to me, just hypothetically, but I probably wouldn’t use them even if I did have the opportunity. The owner’s behavior isn’t really the horse’s fault, nor that of any future foals.

1 Like

Didn’t know that a TB could wait to be named until their first race. If no name, what shows in the program?

Not to the day of the first race, up until they are entered in their first race. You need a name to pass the entry box.

It’s not uncommon to come across an older, unraced TB with no name.

Coronavirus was the name of an evil chariot racer in an old Asterix and Obelix comic.
Well before COVID hit.
So it’s not that unbelievable that someone would name a horse a “pandemic-y” name prior to the actual pandemic!

3 Likes

Got it!!!

They need a name to be entered in a race, but if an owner chooses to wait until the last minute before naming, the horse’s pre-race works are recorded as NameofDam YearofBirth, as in Zenyatta 2019. (Just pulling a name of a hat.)

1 Like