Unlimited access >

Medina Spirit fails drug test

Sick. that is all I have to say. I agree; trainers’ against what is going on in the industry need to band together and start making some noise. It is clear that Mr. Untouchable can do whatever he pleases because his name is big enough and his pockets deep enough.

I do hope that this court ruling does not affect any planned ruling Kentucky Horse Racing is planning to make on the Derby front.

An example needs to be set and horse racing is failing.

5 Likes

Even given that, it’s mind boggling how much he’s gotten away with. I’m now of the opinion he’s made a pact with the devil. Or, he is the devil. Definitely an evil, greedy, self-centered man.

2 Likes

Universal rules & governance are great and all, but you know what I really want at the moment? A nationwide searchable database with every single infraction and fatality for anyone who has ever trained a horse. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

16 Likes

He has succeeded in getting a preliminary injunction. He hasn’t won the case.
Read the judge’s words: https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/baffert-gets-injunction-to-race-in-new-york/

1 Like

He won this battle, but let’s hope he doesn’t win the war.

1 Like

After reading the judges comments I don’t think he will win the war.

1 Like

this will come down to who has the better lawyer because it will ultimately end up in court. Which is probable reason why Kentucky has not yet made a decision. If they come to the table too early; they put themselves at risk. I am sure all i’s are dotted and t’s crossed before making any announcement and I am sure Churchill’s slew of corporate lawyers are going over things with a fine tooth comb because the Derby’s reputation is also on the line here as well. This isn’t just a KHRB decision. This is a nationwide precedent-setting decision.

1 Like

It is the KHRC (KY Horseracing Commission) that will make the decision not the KHRB.

This is a KHRC decision. The publicity is different than for other decisions they’ve made, but otherwise it’s exactly the same.

This is not a nationwide precedent-setting decision. The rules (and the precedents) are already established. The only thing remaining to be seen is if the KHRC adheres to them.

7 Likes

i guess my question for the judge would be along the lines of “If someone disrupts your courtroom and you order them removed, do you give them a hearing first?” Silly, but that’s how I think sometimes.

3 Likes

It took the Monmouth stewards less than 5 minutes to DQ Hot Rod Charlie in the G1 Haskell.

Maybe they’d be willing to give the KHRC some pointers on how to make a decision? :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good analogy.

Good sportsmanship shown by the jockeys. :blush:

1 Like

The video of the Haskell was scary. Does anyone know if that jockey who came off actually raced today? It looked like he was pretty lucky to not get seriously hurt yesterday.

Paco won the Race 1 today by 10 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good for him. Those guys are tough!

This is GREAT- it’s the beginning of “Pee Gate” (if you are old enough to get that). Seriously, is Baffert going to get off because they didn’t save enough urine?

1 Like

I was kind of confused by that article. It mentions that the NY lab only left a sparse (and contaminated?) 1 mL of urine sample. I thought the court fight dictated that Baffert et al would get approx 20-25 mL, and KHRC get the remaining 5 mL (after reps from each side flew to NY to oversee the sample splitting and handling). So did the 5 mL disappear? Was it used?

Then at the end of the article, it refers to the court decision, but says there was less urine than presumed, and the parties had agreed to a “19mL - 4mL” split. What happened to that 4 mL? Is it in KY in KHRC freezer, as suggested? Then why the fuss about no leftover urine?

Very confused. I wish KHRC would just issue the ruling and suspension already, it would save NYRA a lot of headache.

1 Like

Hoo boy. More twists and turns.

I believe the vet involved in the sample used to be part of the AHSA drug testing program when it was connected to Cornell.

That was before the USEF set up their own separate drug testing operation, which was later discontinued after a different lawsuit a few years back showed irregularities in their lab procedures. Or something like that.

Why did the KHRC allow the entire urine sample to be sent?? It’s ridiculous that that they didn’t split the sample.

Also, who cares? The horse tested positive for betamethasone. How it got into him is a (time wasting) moot point.

12 Likes