Medina Spirit fails drug test

If the Feds investigated Baffert ala Servis and Navarro, do you think he would fare any better?

I cannot figure out why this hasn’t happened yet. We can easily compare barn events, deaths, etc. and confluence of drug positives, etc.

Here we go…

This is an embarrassment to the sport.

8 Likes

Another trainer banned by Churchill Downs;

2 Likes

Maybe they are investigating Baffert. We wouldn’t hear anything of it unless/until there was an arrest made.
Hey, we can hope, can’t we?

3 Likes

So, the NYRA doesn’t want to pay Baffert’s legal fees. That’s shocking!

Is this yet another deflection and a scare tactic by BB? Smoke and mirrors and obfuscation.

Along the lines of: “This horse in my care tested positive twice but I will take you court if you try to discipline me or even suggest I’m guilty of having a horse test positive twice because if I take you to court, no one will ever believe I’m guilty because if I was actually guilty why would I take you to court? Unfair! Restriction of trade! No due process! Oh, and by the way, that urine sample that has become contaminated/lost/taking too long to test won’t prove I’m guilty because my guys/your guys have contaminated/lost/hindered the urine sample and that proves I’m innocent because the test is inaccurate anyway, and the rules are stupid. Is it 2022 yet? Has everyone forgotten yet? …”

The racing authorities are apparently saying “Is it 2022 yet? Has everyone forgotten yet?..”

The lawyers are apparently just listening to the whirl of their fees flying upwards.

7 Likes
1 Like

NYRA: Damned if you do, Damned if you don’t.
Racing according to Bob is just “Leave me alone and hand me the needle”.

6 Likes

So, here’s where Baffert is with all of this…

1 Like

Marina Spirit convincingly won the G1 Awesome Again at Santa Anita today. It was a pretty soft field, compared to the G1 Woodward at Belmont (won by Art Collector) which had Maxfield, Code of Honor, and several other MGSW.

I really do like this horse (trainer issues totally aside). He seems like a scrappy little guy. It’s a shame he’s been caught up in the actions of his people.

10 Likes

I like him too. I like the way his ears flop around, then prick forward, then flop around when he runs. Never seem pinned back like most horses. (Not that pinned is bad, horse is probably just focused on running)
Probably a poor reason to like a horse. OTOH, I have good reasons for disliking his trainer.

9 Likes

I liked him before the Derby and I still like him. He can’t help who his trainer is. It seems like he has a lot of heart and he always tries.

8 Likes

I don’t associate the horses he trains with his misdeeds.

I like all his horses. (and feel esp.caring about the ones who go to the breeding shed lame.)

Based on my gut feeling about what a horse has to do, or go thru, to be in the Baffert barn.

3 Likes

Agree; this is an honest, hard-trying horse. When he was clearly beaten in the Preakness he still kept fighting.

I just hope he makes it safely to retirement.

9 Likes

NYRA will have their hearing- sooner than later!

8 Likes

Why is KHRC still dragging this out?? For the sake of the sport, regulatory decisions need to be made in a timely manner. This is getting ridiculous. The horse had an illegal substance in both A & B samples…black and white. Follow the book, suspend him, and he stays suspended the length of his term throughout the appeals process (which may drag on forever).

Keeneland opens Friday. Should it be ok for Baffert to run at this meet?

10 Likes

Why is Medina Spriits DQ or no DQ even related to Baffert’s right to train or be licensed in different states and tracks?

DQ the horse based on 2 positives. Let them fight that out in court for years to come, behind closed doors. DQs based on drug positives need to be made in a timely manner. like it was for Dancer’s Image. (3 days).

And whether Baffert gets to train or be licensed at other tracks should be a separate issue entirely…

4 Likes

States are reciprocal. If he is suspended in Kentucky, other states will honor that. It would make NYRA’s case a lot easier if KHRC would get on with it.

8 Likes