Medina Spirit fails drug test

I can’t imagine that there haven’t been many discussions already. The dispersal of these horses isn’t up to Baffert–it’s up to their owners. There’s no way he would be making plans (if he is) without their input.

He may suggest options but ultimately the owners will decide where the horses go–whether BB agrees with their choices or not.

1 Like

Of course the owners will ultimately decide where their horses go.

The owners that have stuck with Baffert this far seem to put great store in his expertise, so if he is interested in having them back after his suspension, it would behoove him to show that he has been considering the options for each horse and give his opinion. They can then take it or leave it.

I got the impression that earlier on his message to his owners was “stick with me and you won’t regret it”. I just hope for his owners’ sake that he has considered a plan B for the horses that will make their transitions as smooth as possible. Wouldn’t his advice be sought regarding which trainer would be a good fit for a particular horse, or is that not a consideration?

There is the option of finding an unrelated licensed trainer to take over the entire barn(s) at Santa Anita, but that would take a miracle of organization along with an unlikely consensus by the owners.
If I was an owner that had stuck with Baffert through all of this, I would be expecting some very good customer service right now.

1 Like

Replying to my own post to apologize for the rant.

I must say, I love the names of the racing authorities in France; France Galop and Le Trot.

1 Like

One of Baffert’s proteges is taking over.

Another article.

What are the chances those horses could qualify for the derby in the remaining month or so before the race?

1 Like

Really, seems a bit late.

Which other horses does he have that may need to leave him soon?

Haven’t heard anything from Newgrange since he finished midpack in the Rebel. And of course there’s Corniche, another one belonging to “The Avengers” (ridiculous name, considering we’re talking about grown men).

I don’t think Pinehurst was ever aimed for the Derby, but if he wins the UAE Derby that could change.

Baoma Corp has the impressive filly Ganadora, though she’s only just broken her maiden.

2 Likes

What about older horses that are not retired? Is Gamine still in training with Baffert?

Gamine is retired.

My guess is that Baffert’s attention is focused on the Derby only and that’s why we don’t see plans for the older horses.

I bet losing Life Is Good to Pletcher rankles him.

If one of the four wins the Derby, will the owners return the horse to Bob to run in the rest of the TC?

If his 90 day suspension takes effect he’ll still be suspended for the Preakness, won’t he?

He would…I’m just thinking in terms of his ban from CD. If he gets the stay granted (which doesn’t seem likely), he would then be able to run horses at Pimlico & Belmont.

Unless the NYRA bans him, which is likely if if he is unsuccessful on appeal of the Kentucky suspension.

Is this the last gasp?

For the stay of his suspension, yes. Baffert and Zedan want Baffert’s suspension stayed, while their lawsuit over the disqualification of the horse makes it’s way through the courts. So, the lawsuit trying to overturn the disqualification of the horse will continue whether Baffert serves his 90 days or not, as well as the lawsuit against Churchill.

I’m not an attorney but Baffert’s legal arguments sound weak to me.

Doesn’t it seem as if Baffert is still calling the shots with these owners?

I’d be surprised if it was the owners’ idea to send their horses to Yakteen and Brisset respectively. As it stands now, by using these trainers, Baffert can still control the training and racing of the horses until April 4th, which, if the horses had been transferred to Pletcher, Cox, Brown etc… he would not have been able to do.
This particular group of owners certainly are loyal…

I notice that the 3 year olds that Stonestreet has an interest in, aren’t going to Yakteen or Brisset, as of yet.

From LA Times; If Baffert is suspended, it’s unclear if Yakteen or other trainers would get most of Baffert’s horses. “Right now, that’s a question that’s not ready to be answered,” Baffert said.

From Paulick ; Other Baffert-trained 3-year-olds not mentioned in the LA Times story include:

• G3 Southwest winner Newgrange, owned by SF Racing, Starlight Racing, Madaket Stables, Robert Masterson, Stonestreet Stables, Jay Schoenfarber, Waves Edge Capital, Catherine Donovan, Golconda Stable, and Siena Farm.

• G2 UAE Derby entrant Pinehurst, owned by SF Racing, Starlight Racing, Madaket Stables, Robert Masterson, Stonestreet Stables, Jay Schoenfarber, Waves Edge Capital, Catherine Donovan, Golconda Stable, and Siena Farm

• G1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner Corniche, owned by Speedway Stables (has not resumed breezing after his Breeders’ Cup win)

Pinehurst finished “eased” and DNP in the UAE Derby.

I’d not be surprised to see retirement plans imminent.

Well Baffert got some legal fee money, lord knows he is burning through it. Nice race by Country Grammer

3 Likes

drink domestic bubbly

From a year ago; Baltas apparently took exception to the Arkansas racing board’s reinstatement of Gamine’s & Charlatan’s drug-tainted wins. Not that he’s exactly a choirboy himself.