Medina Spirit fails drug test

He’ll be back soon! I guess that these owners were simply waiting on him, because these horses will be back in his barn.

So much for using that in court.

He’s baaaack!

Dang. Do you think he will exist under extra scrutiny or will it just be “back to (his) normal”?

I doubt anything will change: why drop a successful business model with owners still sending him horses? Suspensions are just an occupational hazard.

I don’t agree. I think he’s going to be far more circumspect, and depending on how dirty you think he is he’ll be even more careful to hide things. The next time this happens it’ll basically end his career because it’s not like he’s getting any younger.

2 Likes

wow great science
n of 1 ; one topical one oral , no placebo no naïve
mares, not stallion

I would have been fired for that design

4 Likes

This is an interesting piece that distills down alot of information.

2 Likes

This isn’t going to help Baffert’s case, at all!

3 Likes

It doesn’t help that there was no betamethasone in the out of competition sample taken the week before either. I assumed they didn’t test for legal substances but apparently they did.

2 Likes

Interesting response to Paulick Report article.

Well, bless his little lawyerly heart. He’s awfully sensitive.

In the article Voss quoted him saying;

" Further, Brewster pointed out, there is nothing on the document listing the screening limit for betamethasone for the pre-race tests. He also indicated that other pre-race tests taken from Baffert horses ahead of that race did not find betamethasone."

Brewster clarified in the article that it wasn’t a Baffert horse that was positive in the pre-race testing. Why the complaining now?

I have a sneaking suspicion that his WADA reference comes from human controlled medication rules, not equine.

1 Like

The point it if MS was being treated with Otomax for weeks like they claim then the betamethasone should have been in his pre-race sample. The fact that he tested “clean” seems to invalidate that argument even though it has long been established that it doesn’t matter how it gets in the horse, it can’t be in him on race day. And the WADA was not the governing body for the Kentucky Derby so who cares what they allow or not? Let the horse Rest In Peace.

10 Likes

I wonder if Brewster billed his client for the time it took him to write that letter. :grin:

2 Likes

Baffert testified and was questioned for over two hours in a hearing with the regarding the Medina Spirit debacle.

It is clear that Baffert’s attorney Clark Brewster is throwing absolutely everything he can think of against the wall, hoping something will stick.

I thought I’d heard every excuse in the book, but this was an incredibly desperate play to shift blame;

(Excerpt from the article) HRN also reported that, “Brewster also sought to discredit Industrial Labs, which returned the positive test on Medina Spirit, suggesting that the company needed to come back with positive tests to stay in business.”

What an asinine utterance. Here is a link to the article

Another article, more in depth from HRN;

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/In_Ky_hearing_Baffert_defends_his_actions_with_Medina_Spirit_123

Even more from HRN;

2 Likes

It seems that HRN journalists are there in the hearing room, so the HRN website is probably the one to watch for updates.

1 Like

I just get tired of this, if a horse tests positive it should get disqualified. It doesn’t matter if it was given intentionally or not. Every country I know disqualifies, if it was a feed contamination the trainer won’t be punished.

9 Likes

I have to say that I truly admire the Paulick team for their lack of shyness in terms of going right for the jugular in some of their editorials. Its pretty clear that other publications knowingly toe the line, never question, and report the “happenings” of the trials and appeals. they hit a nerve here so much so the lawyers had to pony up a response. I like it.

Should read the recent article on Ortiz’s reckless riding.

7 Likes

I did, and I agree It’s only a matter of time before something bad happens

1 Like

Something bad has already been caused by Paco Lopez, more than once, and he’s still riding…