Medina Spirit fails drug test

Let’s throw mud against the wall. Something might stick.

2 Likes

Among other problems, the lab never tested for the parent compound of Otomax, betamethasone.

They didn’t test for the parent compound because it doesn’t matter! This idiotic claim that it shouldn’t count because it was slathered on rather than injected is laughable and annoying. We are long past the beating a dead horse stage, enough is enough.

13 Likes

the substance is not supposed to be there.
tough luck.

3 Likes

The reports critical of Dr. Maylin’s study aren’t siding with the Baffertistas who complain that topical shouldn’t count. Rather, the panel argues that the testing was incomplete and the study itself was sloppy.

1 Like

But it was Baffert’s study so who cares? It’s not like it mattered.

5 Likes

A sloppy trainer who employs sloppy experts and invisible vets. Poor horses.

6 Likes

So, Maylin’s study will not be admitted? Hmmmm…

That’s a good move. I think the key paragraph is this:

Maylin issued a report letter on Dec. 3, 2021, that BloodHorse retrieved from the New York lawsuit record. In essence, it says two components of Otomax, betamethasone valerate and clotrimazole via its metabolite, were found in a urine sample taken from Medina Spirit; and these analytes were also detected after topical administration of Otomax to two Thoroughbred research horses. The letter says data to support Maylin’s findings, as well as his studies, were available for review in his laboratory by an expert scientist, but he also wrote he considers this a research project that will be peer-reviewed and as such is "confidential until the data has been submitted for review."

There’s no way a research project should be used in any sort of court. This needs to be peer-reviewed.

3 Likes

Well! That went better for him!

3 Likes

If he’s smart, he’ll shut up and take it.

8 Likes

if he was smart he would have cleaned up is act…

7 Likes

Here is the Decision of the NYRA panel; https://cms.nyra.com/uploads/wysiwyg/Decision-of-Panel-2022-06-23.pdf

Here is a link to retired NY Supreme Court Justice Sherwood’s report; https://cms.nyra.com/uploads/wysiwyg/Hearing_Report_Bob_Baffert_Small.pdf

The accusation that the NYRA panel is suspending Baffert so they have less competition from him on the track seems unwise to me. Isn’t that accusation actionable?

Edited for clarity.

1 Like

Actionable or not, it doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Baffert doesn’t have a stable in NY and really only shows up for the marquee graded stakes for 3yo/3 and up.

2 Likes

He must be yapping about the Saratoga meet. The suspension will be over by the time the Belmont is run next year.

1 Like

Wonder who he wants to bring to the Travers…none of his highly touted 3yos have shown much outside of CA, when they were running against small fields full of other Baffert horses.

Corniche is at Belmont currently, but hasn’t started this year and only started working this month.

This article, from April, shows that the connections of Corniche have patience. https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/corniche-nearing-return/

I wonder if they are aiming for one of the Breeders Cup races at Saratoga or Belmont Park. I very much doubt they’ll move the horse back to Baffert.

I do wonder what’s going on with the horse. It’s nice that the owners are doing what they think is best for him.

Per Equibase Corniche has worked three times this month at Belmont, the most recent one a 4-furlong breeze on 6/25 in 49.92. It was the 49th fastest of 96 that day at that distance.
It doesn’t list a trainer for him, but whoever it is hasn’t really asked him yet.

Corniche was moved to Pletcher’s barn after laying up at WinStar.

2 Likes