Unlimited access >

Meet Nameless - Great Dane needs a Name

Back on March 15 120 dogs and puppies were taken from a breeder in Florida. Yesterday, the guy below came to me! I’m a little upset as he’s been in authorities hands for 6 weeks, and he was either a walking skeleton or they didn’t actually put any weight on him. Anyway, he came with the name Leroy but he doesn’t know it, so we’ve got a blank slate. They say he’s 5 but I’m pretty darn sure they’re wrong, he seems much younger (I’d put him at 2 or under). He still has all his parts, they get removed on the 15th.

So far personality is so incredibly sweet with me, HATES my husband (he’s taken over all feeding so hoping that helps), gets the zoomies, and has the quintessential GD lean.

I like quirky names that have a story. Our other Dane is named Mads Mikkelsen who is a great Danish actor. Though about Lars (Mads’ brother) but I don’t know it just doesn’t fit. Also thought about Heldig, which is like hero or fortunate, or Glucks (with an umlaut) which is German for luck and GD are a German breed. But nothing “feels” right.

EDIT: We went with Guenther! Thank you @Rallycairn for the suggestion. The family agreed, especially since we love to watch Drive to Survive. Now to find a treat he like well enough so I can go about teaching him his name.

20 Likes

He is adorable.

Hopefully he will put on some weight now that he is living with you.

Maybe he just was too stressed with the rescue to be willing to eat enough to gain weight.

2 Likes

Gelert, after the famous legend
Grey Ghost
Pilot
Thor
Magnus
Steiner
Guenther
(after Guenther Steiner, the F1 team principal who is quite a character)

4 Likes

OMG Guenther. I love him!

3 Likes

What a gorgeous guy!

I was thinking Thor or Loki, myself. (Very creative, I know!)

Victor for Borge :wink:
Or Borge.
I’m partial as my Mom (a hobby pianist) introduced me to Victor Borge & it’s a sweet memory.

He’s a lovely boy & I’m sure your feeding will have him up to good weight soon!
:pray: He forgives your DH for being a man & instead sees him as Nom Bringer :wink:

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see him all filled out!!

Hopefully he will learn to love or at least like your DH now that he is the food dispenser.

As far as names;
Slate (because he is starting off with a clean slate one with you)
I like Glucks too
Augustus, Gus for short

He is going to be a stunner when he puts some weight on.

I love Guenther, but…

Using Google translate, so apologies if wrong
rescued/saved = gerettet --> Garrett
Survivor = uberlebender–> Bentley
delivered = geliefert --> Gilbert
rebirth = wiedergeburt --> Bert/Bertram

I had a wonderful Great Dane, we got him as a pup. He was the stupidest dog I’ve ever known and we loved him dearly. He had a wariness toward men but would warm up to them if they ignored him for awhile.

If my husband was talking with male friends, standing, they would try to pet him and he would shy away from them. We told them, just ignore him for awhile and he’ll come to you. When he did, he would accept being petted and then proceed to lean on their legs, his weight requiring them to step back to regain their balance. Is that what you mean by the “GD lean”?

Mine was not an elegant representation of the breed. He was thick boned and very heavy.

I love Great Danes, my avatar is a pic of my puppy, first winter in the snow! He loved it, running around in the snow, when it wasn’t too cold! He is a very smart boy, and the most wonderful dog ever! He is smaller than the average Dane, only 120 lbs, so I’m hoping this will translate to a slightly longer life span. That is the biggest downside to this breed, the short life span. He also is a little leary of men ( but loves my hubby), and people wearing hats!! But the biggest suck, and he really thinks he is the size of a little chihuahua when he wants to snuggle and sit on my lap!

I hope your new boy will thrive under your care! They are such special dogs (as all dogs are, of course!)

1 Like

Wolke - german for cloud
Vulkan - german for volcano

Günther is a great suggestion
Another, less common, name I am fond of is Karlheinz.