Unlimited access >

Melrose Inn in Tyron Burned to the ground this morning

Anyone else see this? I feel really bad for this owner as well as the people that were registered to stay there during WEG.

https://www.wspa.com/news/crews-battle-fire-at-historic-tryon-inn/1422693390

Horrible. My heart goes out to that poor lady. I am hoping (against hope?) that there is nothing nefarious about this fire. but it started in a room with no outlets, in a part of the inn which was empty…

1 Like

The attached news report does not actually say there are no outlets but that she did not know there are outlets there, nothing was ever plugged into them.

Doheny says she saw a small flame come out of the wall in an area where she didn’t know there was an outlet and nothing was plugged in.

ACK! I’m supposed to stay there for WEG!!! I pre-paid!!!

1 Like

If anyone is/was reserved at the Melrose for week one, we have an extra paid booking (for two people) that we aren’t going to use. Please send me a message and I will put you in touch with my friend (she made the booking)

As someone who’s family is heavily involved in quilting I can’t imaging devoting your life to that hobby/passion and losing it all in flames. Putting together a quilt takes a lot of time, patience and passion. My quilts from my grandmother are some of my most prized possessions. I hope they’re able to situate everyone for WEG and that insurance truly covers everything that she lost.

You need to find another place fast. Contact Paint hunter (below this response) now!!!

I saw on the news that the owner was working with other inn/hotel owners to accommodate those coming in but do contact Paint Hunter. Good luck!

1 Like

Sounds like she did not have it insured. About half way through this article the owner says she could not find anyone to insured it due to it’s age.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180906/blaze-destroys-129-year-old-melrose-inn-in-tryon

Oh, my goodness. How awful for everyone involved in every direction.

Does anyone have a phone number of contact info for the owner/management of the Melrose Inn. Would like to reach to them/her that our accommodations are available for someone. We start tomorrow evening through Sunday night/Monday morning (check out September 17th)

A lot of these older buildings have copper wire scabbed onto aluminum wire and the two don’t play well together over time. In time there is a gap that develops between the two types of wire and dust can collect and eventually ignite. What a tragic loss

2 Likes

OK, found a contact number for The Melrose Inn and left a voicemail for them with our offer. If anyone knows the place/owner, please reach out to them to check their voicemail for details. The guest cottage is in Hendersonville. Thanks everyone.

I might still have rooms - let me check tomorrow. If so, I have three double queens. Will check.

Thanks - no word from her yet. I worry about the people traveling who have not heard that their accommodations no longer exist…

Thank you, we chatted. Paint Hunter’s place sounds perfect but alas, it’s the wrong week for me. The stars aligned and one of the other Tryon Inns I’d called 18 months ago had a cancellation. Phew!

My mom lives 20 minutes from TIEC and has 3 rooms available for the 2nd WEG week. Contact me here and I’ll hook you up.

A realtor contacted my friend who owns rental property in the area. She has exterior renovations going on so didn’t rent. Ire sounds like locals are going to Sunday some of they

We have lodging about an hour away for 3. If you are affected by this PM me and we can work something out! Just terrible!