Unlimited access >

Men, what saddle(s) do you prefer for hunting?

Just like the title. Any input greatly appreciated.

I was using a 16" Stubben Rex, still have it.

For a while was honorary whipper-in with one hunt, guest in others, so plenty of riding no matter what the country or thru or over whatever is in the way. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Ooops, wrong forum, this way of presenting threads got me, sorry, will leave post here anyway.)

I have two different saddles. My preference are monoflaps in order to have less bulk and both saddles are monoflaps. I also prefer a flatter seat in order to not get locked in. One horse goes in County Solution. The other horse goes in a Black Country Vinici Solare. I had both saddles made without a back blocks. We hunt in hilly/mountain territory and it would be easy to get a stirrup leather back behind the block on steep uphills.

1 Like

Husband hunts in a Hastilow - they have several options for your preference as to forward flap and blocks, and the tree is adjustable (comes in handy when horse changes shape off season)

I use my devoucoux soccoa. Same on I use for cross country.

My husband uses an older Crosby XL. It’s wide enough for his draft mare, and offers him enough security that he feels comfortable.
Seems like several of the gentlemen use Stubbens, which seem to be popular locally.

1 Like

Whatever saddle you get, make sure it is big enough!

An old school Stubben Siegfried, heavy as heck, and been re-flocked more times than I can remember and on about its 4th set of billet straps over 35 years. We fit each other and it has good solid points to attach the flask, wire cutter case, radio case, and breastplate.

I have and have used a Devecoux Oldara, a Wintec, a Custom Saddlery Monte Carlo, and a Jeffries Falcon Hawk My preference as an alternative to the Stubben for hunting would be in that order. The Devecoux is my favorite jumping saddle.

1 Like