Meniscus surgery in 2 weeks

So doc says I need to get my meniscus trimmed up … they’re saying crutches for a week, then slow increase of normal activities. In 6 weeks I’ll be doing everything as per normal.

I guess this means no riding for 6 weeks ? I have a draft cross who is very well behaved, but is only 4 so not quite bombproof. Guess she’ll be getting a little vacation which I’m sure she won’t mind.

Who else has had this surgery and how long before you were back in the saddle ?

I don’t want to scare you, but I will say: recovery is different for everyone. I didn’t know there was a Disabilities forum on this site and just discovered it. Previously posted in Off Course about my own Meniscus surgery.

I had part of my Medial Meniscus removed April 28th. Here we are, July 23rd, and I am still not resuming normal daily functions without pain. My leg still buckles, there is pain after sitting for about 2 hours. I used to do agility with my dog, but I can’t run. I used to ride, but riding was absolutely painful beyond sitting at a dead walk or stand still… the 2 times I tried it.

Insurance has cut me off from PT because my leg strength improved but pain got worse… so tbh, I don’t know if I’m better. I was partial weight bearing a week after surgery and the doctor did not want me on crutches, but when my PT saw me walking without crutches, she said it was going to make my knee worse.

I have seen other people who had the same surgery resume long distance running and weight lifting about 8 weeks after, and have heard a few people here say that they were back to normal very quickly. Maybe I just have a bum knee, but it’s not a situation I would wish upon someone else.

Edit to add - I’m 27, no previous surgeries, in pretty decent health (was riding and casually running, and doing agility with my dog, so I’m not up there in age or unhealthy).

OP, did you have your surgery yet? I have the same problem and mine is scheduled for Tuesday.