Unlimited access >

Merry Christmas everyone

• well it is here anyway
  • well it is here anyway

Your post made me think. Around here, Christmas is so associated with snow and cold, and winter in general. What is it like to celebrate Christmas in the summer? What traditions do you have that may be different than ours? Any summer type foods that you always have, special flowers?

One thing I would bet is the same, the message of peace and love that signifies the true meaning of Christmas.

The best to all on the COTH BB from Cactuskate and Bud.

Psst…Auckland has Santa been to your house already?? I never could keep those time zones straight.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Hey, I’ve got a question for you (when you get back out here). What’s your favorite thing about NZ? I’ve been to Australia and was thinking I might want to stop at NZ the next time I’m headed downunder.

How’s the horse world–other than Mark Todd. How about land? Is it very pricey? Are there many jobs to help you support horses? Are there a lot of really good horses to chose from? Or do you have to ship them in?

Just curious.

Merry Christmas! Joyeux Noel!

It’s all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)

Hi guys
Louise - Quite a lot of people here do a fairly traditional Christmas meal - with hot meat and hot veges and so on. But also a fair few will go with a mix of hot and cold, or will do a barbecue outside. And of course pavolva for dessert (a baked meringue with heaps of cream and usually kiwifruit or strawberries). We have a special tree here - the pohutukawa - which is called the NZ Christmas tree as it always flowers in November/December with heaps of lovely bright/dark red flowers.
Velvet - my favourite thing about NZ is probably the good old clean, green, open spaces. We have quite a thriving horse world - dressage would be the thing we are least good at. Land isn’t too pricey (depending on where you are - currently I am dreaming of 120 acres of grazing land/native bush for $475k which is for sale about 20ks from central Auckland). The job scene is fairly good - depending on your area of expertise. We breed the best horses in the world - that’s how we keep on beating the rest of you