Unlimited access >

Mesh show coats

Thoughts on this coat in Navy?

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/B_Vertigo_Gabrielle_Mesh_Show_CoatJacket/descpage-VEGA.html

Looks pretty similar to the AA. For the price, Iā€™d give it a try!

For hunter ring or jumper ring? For jumpers I would definitely be willing to try it, but that one having the 4 silver buttons that are fairly prominent and it being pretty short would not appeal to me as much for the hunter ring.

This is the Kerrits coat that I have for the hunter ring - it comes with a set of more subtle buttons you can swap out to easily, and it is a little longer length than the one in your link. Less expensive than the RJ and AA ones, and can frequently be found on sale https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Kerrits_Womens_Affinity_Aero_Mesh_Show_CoatJacket/descpage-KAER.html

Youā€™ve already received tons of feedback, but to add to it, I have both the Alessandro Albanese (dark green) and the RJ Classics (navy) - both look great. They are absolutely not see through, they look good if you purchase the correct size, and they are definitely cooler! They are a life saver when showing in the GA, SC, NC summer weather! I think I need to add a black one to the collection this year!

Interesting because this one looks like the same length and has silver buttons.

1 Like

Knowing you IRL, and you do a few disciplines - if you like the Gabriella - go ahead and get it. I think the 4 button style will be very elegant on you. Also- maybe the sun will hit the silver just the right way to blind a judge if you miss a jump or a change :wink:

1 Like

Those are the jumper buttons, with a black face and silver edges. As I mentioned above, the Kerrits coats come with two sets of buttons that are easy to swap out and one set is plain without any silver, but the pictures in the link donā€™t show the plain ones (edited because I found a pic on my phone that shows the plain buttons - super easy to swap back and forth). And in person I found it to be more of a traditional cut and length, itā€™s definitely not the shorter jumper-type length or I wouldnā€™t have kept it, it would look terrible on me! Any of the brands are likely to be fine, I would just order a few to try and see what fits you best and see what you like! Itā€™s very much personal preference. But you donā€™t have to worry about them being see through, all of them are fine on that front.

My AA Motionlite is absolutely not see through, and I personally find that the newer fabrics lay much better and are more flattering. To each their own!

1 Like

This is the AA mesh jacket 3 years ago.

2 Likes

Longtime lurker and I made an account just for this question. I just bought the RJ classics coat mentioned above after reading here and love the fitā€¦however, I couldnā€™t resist picking one of the colors after years of a navy wool coat. How prevalent are colored show coats in your local Hunters/EQ? I read the old threads about ā€œdark colored hunt coatsā€ being allowed and did a quick scan of the rules and am fairly certain itā€™s legal. I didnā€™t ask (edit-or am avoiding asking) my trainer for permission, as I already have an idea of what they would say based on the required dress codeā€¦I can deal with a collared shirt rule for lessons, but the rebellious adult part of me doesnā€™t want someoneā€™s personal fashion advice when Iā€™m spending my own money (I would of course listen to safety and USEF eligibility advice). I have seen photos of someone from my barn showing in a dark green coat, so thatā€™s what inspired me. Now Iā€™m sort of chickening out though, haha. Thank you!

EDIT-sorry to hijack the thread.

In my ā€œhunter daysā€ (short lived, not for coat related reasons) I wore a dark green coat and loved it. You could not get me to wear a boring black coat. My trainer was fine with it but stressed that if you stick out because of the color of your coat, you should be able to ride to back it up. AKA donā€™t wear the green coat AND put in a bad ride in front of the judge, because you will always be the person with the green coat.

3 Likes

Hunter green coats have always been legal and have been popular in the hunter ring for probablyā€¦ 6 or 7 years now? There was a point here in Zone 2 when it felt like every other person in the hunters was wearing one. I wouldnā€™t look twice in the hunters. In the eq, Iā€™d only go with the green if youā€™re a very strong rider because it will make you stand out, for better or worse!

1 Like

Green seems to come in and out of fashion, but itā€™s always legal and appropriate. I have a softshell RJ in hunter and the mesh in olive. As a chestnut owner, unless Iā€™m doing eq stuff (where Iā€™ll usually stick with navy) I tend to go with green.

There was something of a kerfuffle with the rules a year or two ago about the red/berry/burgundy colored coats being allowed in hunters, but they clarified that and even those are pretty popular now.

2 Likes

Appreciate these responses. Iā€™m only showering at a low local level so Iā€™ll probably be ā€œthat person in a green coat with a bad tripā€ haha. Iā€™ll keep the tags on until I broach the topic with my trainer. Sigh! I just want all the pretty colors and donā€™t want to hear ā€œnoā€ when ~technically~ itā€™s allowed.

1 Like

Especially youā€™re just doing local stuff, where itā€™s usually one medal trip and then the rest is hunter division, I wouldnā€™t bat an eye at wearing green. Then again, it depends on how conservative your trainer is, and how controlling over adult attire they areā€“I feel like often kids are told you go get X, Y, and Z for showing just because itā€™s easier (and 12 year olds would buy ridiculous inappropriate things if left to their own choices) but thereā€™s often a little more leeway with adults, who are far less likely to show up with a hot pink jacket anyway.

1 Like

It hot pink an optionā€¦asking for myself :crazy_face:

3 Likes

@Cocorona Technically the rules say you canā€™t be eliminated for wearing a hot pink coatā€¦ Interpret that as you will :wink:

1 Like

You just convinced me to stick with navy no matter how much i love the green! :rofl:

Iā€™m pretty conservative about hunt coats, and I wouldnā€™t hesitate to wear a hunter green coat in the hunter ring (and in fact have done so at plenty of A shows in the last few years). I donā€™t feel like hunter green is an ā€œoutlierā€ color. Black and navy may be most popular (and in the Eq. I personally would go with navy or black), but you see plenty of hunter green. I really wish the burgundy coats would be considered ā€œconservativeā€, Iā€™m jealous of the jumper riders who have them!

5 Likes

I think you should buy the green if that is what you love. It was popular in the 1960s when I was a junior and as someone said it goes in and out of popularity but its always conservative and correct. And a judge is going to notice a bad round even if you are wearing navy or black so just go for it!

2 Likes