Unlimited access >

Mesh show coats

I loved the burgundy/dark purple, too. I’m guessing even less people wear that color? The twilight blue also looked pretty.

Very true, i don’t do eq/hunters, its more so the rail birds “that green coat round” lol that said, i’m at an age where i don’t or shouldn’t give any $hit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why I’m asking about a mesh coat, so my HJ trainer doesn’t have a stroke when I show up in this

4 Likes

Good for you!

1 Like

Lovely color!!

1 Like

The burgundy is really just not done in the hunters anywhere that I have seen (local shows and A’s in the SE and in Florida over the winter) - a rule change that would have expressly prevented penalizing for it (at least I think that is how it was worded!) was shot down! I wouldn’t even consider it, personally, even though I think they are really pretty, but at the end of the day all of it is a personal choice if someone doesn’t mind being a bit of a rebel LOL!

1 Like

I thought the rule was that while dark conservative colors are encouraged (burgundy doesn’t fall into this category) riders cannot be penalized for what they’re wearing, unless it’s a safety issue.

That said, I suppose the wording doesn’t prevent a judge from having a negative overall impression of your ride though if they found the color to be too distracting. But I guess I consider that to be part of the subjective nature of judging anyways, which can be influenced by a wide range of factors.

2 Likes

This jacket is so pretty!!

Ahhhhh okay, I didn’t know that about the proposed rule. TY for sharing!

I think that you are correct, I just recall the proposal that would have approved of burgundy being shot down!! And agreed re: the subjectivity, how you score or place is rarely going to be decided by attire, but you definitely don’t want the judge’s first thought to be “why is he/she wearing THAT” :rofl: Neat, tidy and properly fitting are likely most important!

I bought the burgundy AA Motionlite for the hunters and its beautiful. I did a lot of googling beforehand, and stumbled across this article: https://www.theplaidhorse.com/2018/11/07/battle-of-the-burgundy-what-coat-colors-belong-in-the-hunter-ring/

Seeing it in the first picture, that pair honestly looked so nicely turned out and understated I don’t know if I would have noticed the color of the coat. I’ll wear my burgundy coat in the hunters and just pray I have nice enough trips that all the judge can fault me for is the color of my coat!

2 Likes

I have the Spooks one in Navy…I don’t see it on their website anymore but the link shows what its like! I love it…on hot days it’s a life saver, and in the ring you cannot tell it’s mesh! Im also short in the torso so find this brand fits me, as they are short! I also wear this in the hunters, at gasp TBird in rated classes…it has not stopped me from winning!

2 Likes

Chiming in (along with the like 40others :joy:) that my AA Motion Lite is the best since sliced bread. I bought several soft shell coats a few years ago thinking they were the best. Well last year I finally ponied up and bought the slightly more expensive mesh coat and MY GOD what a difference. I’ve hung on to a few soft shells (one is two toned black and grey which I haven’t seen in mesh … yet … and the other is a bright teal) but really only foresee using the mesh. It is a thousand times cooler especially when paired with summer breeches (Aqua X by Ovation) and a summer show shirt (current the Ariat with mesh sleeves). This whole get up means I don’t pass out after my rounds from heat exhaustion. I can definitely feel even the slightest breeze through the jacket and shirt. Plus it’s pretty IMO. It fits me well as I have a short torso (honestly I think it could even be a touch shorter for me).

11 Likes

They were the best – right up until the mesh came out :rofl: There’s no going back once you’ve shown in the mesh in warmer weather. And that color in your picture looks great on the grey horse!

Grade A+++++ typo

7 Likes

I bought one recently a AA in dark green. Love it and can’t wait to wear it.

2 Likes

Are they Kosher for rated Hunter shows?

Absolutely!

I wear mine at rated shows! They photograph beautifully!

1 Like

Ooooohhhh, good to know!