Unlimited access >

Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

I sure hope not! Hopefully Simring would speak up and remind him that HE, the expert, told him That Greystone wasn’t a good option for MB.

6 Likes

The whole thing seems like such a travesty. He was found not guilty, but held for treatment, which he has not gotten. Unreal.

19 Likes

Bingo, even if the “experts” at Greystone say he doesn’t need any treatment!

13 Likes

https://www.mcleanhospital.org/treatment/trauma-continuum

McLean is supposed to be the top psychiatric hospital in the country so I was curious what their Intensive Outpatient program looked like. Seems its done online and can take about 3-6 months. Why won’t Greystone offer an opportunity to do a similar program online. Let’s sign him up! (Just kidding- but I do wish he could do something like this program, get released and NEVER step foot in NJ again)

11 Likes

It is punitive, it’s designed to be really. People who are NGRI often spend a longer time imprisoned than if they were sentenced to jail for their crimes. I’m not saying it’s right, but I didn’t find it surprising.

“And when an N.G.R.I. defense does succeed, it tends to resemble a conviction more than an acquittal. N.G.R.I. patients can wind up with longer, not shorter, periods of incarceration, as they are pulled into a mental-health system that can be harder to leave than prison.”

7 Likes

Unbelievable! Absolutely unbelievable.

So, Michael was facing up to 80 years if found guilty some said. Is that how long Taylor will keep him confined?? :thinking:

5 Likes

We’ve had some NGRIs in my locality over the last decade - look up The Werewolf Killer for an astounding example - and pretty much all of them were released and left to their own devices, with some stipulation of continued mental health care and evaluation.

6 Likes

Yes, NJ appears to be quite punitive and ancient in its legal practices on many fronts. :pensive:

Edit for spelling.

9 Likes

Why are actual killers facing sentences of 20 years or something like that? Had he been convicted it seems 5 years would have made sense.

4 Likes

“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph in the world is that good men to do nothing.”

17 Likes

There are plenty of sports writers out there. ESPN has a bunch. People should start contacting the sports writers and turning them onto the story. Don’t sit back and do nothing.

13 Likes

^^THIS^^ Any super, organized proposal writers here??

2 Likes

The other horrible aspect of this is that if this can happen to MB, with his support system and resources, what happens to all the other people in a similar situation who don’t have his advantages behind them?

33 Likes

Exactly!!

As far as I can see, mental health care is in crisis across North America.

7 Likes

Honestly, if for no other reason than it’s Christmas and kindness actually does matter in this world, please have a look at what’s been written in the update and then have another look at your response. I know you don’t agree with 99% of the posters on these threads, but this is actually a new low of pettiness. :frowning:

I hope you can find some joy in something, anything, even if only at this time of year.

Peace to you and yours.

58 Likes

CH, do you just not read for comprehension? Lara specifically said no one gets ANY TREATMENT. Why is that so hard for to understand? Also, what LiberalSnowflake said.

41 Likes

If you ever wondered if certain posters were posting simply to be contrarian, now you know for sure.

44 Likes

I’m wondering why @LiberalSnowflake decided to respond to a simple post of mine from two days ago.

My reading comprehension is fine.

Here’s what I don’t understand:

In her post, Lara Osborne points out again that the state forensic psychiatrists continue to say MB is sane and does not suffer from mental illness. That’s what they contended during the trial.

Simring stated during the Kroll hearing that MB continues to suffer from delusional thinking (insanity) and needs intensive therapy. His preference is that the intensive individual therapy be delivered in an out patient setting.

Both sides, state and defense, are keeping their positions on MB s sanity consistent with their position at the trial. State: he’s sane. Defense: he’s insane.

Simring did not persuasively say during the trial that MB was insane on Aug 7, 2019, then claim at the Krol hearing that MB was sane in August of 2022.

If the state had prevailed in their contention that MB was not suffering from delusions when he shot LK, they would have established mens rea to go along with actus reus and MB would have been found straight guilty on two counts and would now be incarcerated.

The state did not prevail on the issue of mens rea. The defense prevailed and established that he was insane at the time of the shooting. At the Krol hearing, Simring stated that MB was still delusional, insane, and needed therapy.

It is a contradiction to say that 1) MB is completely sane and does not need to be institutionalized and does not need medication or treatment, and to say that 2) he needs psychiatric treatment.

I accept and respect the jury’s verdict on mens rea— that MB was insane when he shot LK. That’s why he was committed to a psychiatric facility rather than incarcerated.

From what Lara Osborne wrote, it appears that the nature of treatment in Greystone consists of medication and group sessions, rather than individual therapy sessions. I have no doubt that it is inferior to what could be obtained on a voluntary outpatient basis, and may be quite bad. That’s why the notion pushed by @Sdel and others that the jury used jury nullification to return a verdict of NGRI instead of NG, despite thinking he did not shoot LK, was so absurd.

4 Likes

Certainly, you’re aware that one’s mental health status can change - day to day, hour to hour. No? Certainly you’re aware that external stressors can exacerbate mental illnesses and once stressors are removed, one can recover from crisis, no? Certainly you’re aware that some conditions require lifelong medication, whilst others can be overcome through therapy, introspection, meditation, and myriad other approaches, no?

My own mental illness struggles illustrate this perfectly.

I was in individual and group therapy, as well as OA for my eating disorders and I was on medication. And I was at my lowest, despite all of the interventions. Were the interventions what “cured” me from my eating disorders? Nope. I turned things around during a period of my life when I wasn’t in therapy or on medication or attending any group meetings of any type. I now enjoy food and don’t count calories, don’t starve myself, and don’t vomit when I overindulge.

Other issues of mine have required therapy and/or medication during times of my life that were, in retrospect, incredibly stressful due to issues beyond my control. I couldn’t snap out of it, so to speak, without pretty intense intervention but I also couldn’t control the external factors exacerbating my mental illness.

So… your conclusion is based off of faulty logic.

27 Likes