Unlimited access >

Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

There is no faulty logic on my part.

Of course one’s mental status can change over time.

Please see the bolded sentence in my post. Simring testified during the trial that Barisone was suffering from delusions when he shot LK on Aug 7, 2019. Three years later he testified during the Krol hearing that MB was still suffering from
delusional thinking and required intensive psychiatric treatment.

The jury was convinced of Simrings viewpoint regarding insanity during the trial, and judge Taylor was convinced of Simrings viewpoint regarding insanity during the Krol hearing.

3 Likes

What’s absurd is that you pretend to know what the jury was thinking. Just today on NPR’s Reveal with Al Letson, he discussed a case where a person was found guilty of murder by a jury - despite a witness testifying under oath that they were, in fact, the shooter. Tell me how you can make heads or tails of that? Someone else literally confessed to the crime under oath. And yet, the jury found an unrelated third party guilty of murder.

But, sure [edit]. You know what the jury was thinking and that the State proved everything about the crime committed against LK, beyond a reasonable doubt. Meanwhile, a lot of us have a lot of questions after seeing and hearing the State’s evidence. But, we’re all wrong.

19 Likes

If, like you, the jury thought that the state had not made its case on actus reus, they should have found MB straight guilty on all four counts.

The absurd part is thinking that they were doing MB a favor by returning a verdict of NGRI instead of NG “in order to ensure MB got treatment at the state’s expense”,

3 Likes

Consider the possibility that the jury disliked the two star witnesses so intensely much that they were unwilling to convict anyone of anything.

Or, that it’s been years now since MB has been removed from the daily trauma of the LK situation and that even prison was more mentally healthy than being around HER.

21 Likes

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. You are still basing your assertions falsely. And did you even read my post above? Surely you can agree that a jury finding someone guilty of murder when a witness confessed to committing the crime is absurd. Right? Why do you place such stock in what you think makes sense here when so few agree with you?

9 Likes

Since you are clearly struggling with all of this, let me copy and paste a direct quote from the GFM update:

“The bottom line is that they don’t do ANY TREATMENT, not for Michael, not for any of the patients!”

You can verify by actually reading the GFM.

So once again, you are blatantly wrong and once again, you can’t admit it.

And no, I don’t care to hear some lengthy round about way of you bringing up topics no one else is talking about. I don’t care what you think WRT jury nullification and the like.

42 Likes

Clearly it’s not worthwhile to discuss anything with you of material importance. You have precisely no idea what the jury thought. You pick and choose and skew words to suit your argument.

From what I can see, Simring never said that Barisone remained delusional. Those appear to be words made up by you, and if not, prove otherwise. Simring recommended he be released to the community, but that he have ongoing therapy.

“Psychiatrist Steven Simring, called to testify by Barisone’s lawyer Ed Bilinkas, said Barisone suffers from chronic depression and delusional disorder. He recommended that Barisone be discharged to live in the community, but also said he needs daily intensive outpatient treatment “to get his life back on track and deal with his demons.”

10 Likes

Please see bolded.

2 Likes

This is a perfect summation of some people’s participation in these threads.

28 Likes

For the Newark paper, in case no one else posted it. I’m calling in the morning and writing as well.

press@njnpublishing.com

Tip line is Call us: +1 848-666-0164

18 Likes

What I think is horrible is that MB wants the treatment and to do the steps that would lead to his release but Greystone Doesn’t offer the program he needs. Patients who want to do the work to heal aren’t getting it.

30 Likes

No. Clearly you either do struggle with reading comprehension or you did not read LO’s update.

The group sessions are NOT treatment. They may call colouring g “art therapy” but that is not therapy in the psychiatric sense. MB is not on any medication and is not receiving any treatment.

And there is no conflict. I don’t think anyone has suggest that he doesn’t need ANY treatment or medication, as you contend. He had been through a very traumatic 3 years which, coupled with his childhood issues and past depressions, clearly necessitate counselling and psychotherapy to help him deal with what happened. That’s what is supposed to be happening, under Kroll, and it is not.

What he doesn’t need is to be incarcerated to receive such treatment. Since he isn’t a danger to himself or others, he could be enrolled in a day program or receiving private treatment at home. He was ordered to Greystone to receive treatment. Since he is not receiving ANY treatment there is no justification for holding him there.

41 Likes

Then why is he receiving NO psychiatric treatment, let alone intensive treatment?

23 Likes

It’s so tiresome, isn’t it? How hard would it be for @CurrentlyHorseless to just admit they were wrong about this?

30 Likes

You’re still making false assertions.

11 Likes

That is not @CurrentlyHorseless’s MO.

Edited typo.

11 Likes

@erinmeri, thank you for sharing your personal mental health struggle. I admire you tremendously.

Some people choose to lump all those suffering with mental health issues, from mild to extreme and from self controlled to intensive medication and therapy, into one group. Nothing can be further from reality. Every person is unique which is why multiple experts must be respected and listened to by judicial authorities IMO.

18 Likes

COTH forum word of the day: bloviate.

Use it in a sentence.

CH bloviates about the same old tired subject regardless of the topic.

@CurrentlyHorseless, you are off topic. This is not a discussion about the jury’s decision. This is about the horrendous warehousing of people who are not receiving the treatment they need to re-enter society. MB’s situation could be the catalyst needed to fix NJ’s track record.

I have been on email lists where you would be put on moderation so that your contributions could be vetted before they were released for general consumption. Clearly, your objective is to rile people up and get this thread shut down.

If it looks like a troll, sounds like a troll, and smells like a troll look under the bridge.

47 Likes

I think it’s important to demystify mental illness. And I agree people lump mental illnesses together.

18 Likes

And just like that, @CurrentlyHorseless has turned this into a thread about her favorite topics - trial, verdict, jury. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH AND TREATMENT AND LACK OF TREATMENT AT STATE RUN FACILITIES.

34 Likes