Michael Martin saddles?

My horse has been off most of this year with an injury. I’ve been riding in a very elderly borrowed dressage saddle while puttering around with another horse. I have just started to bring my horse back into work, and have discovered I really prefer this 30 year old Mike Martins over my horse’s Amerigo.

I know the particular saddle I’ve been using will never fit my TB, but does anyone know of a saddle in production today that is similar in design? I’m afraid there is no other model information on the saddle, but it looks like this:

TBkite where are you located? That looks an awful lot like my old saddle that I sold about 10 years ago.

Anyway for a similar feel, look for the older Passier dressage saddles, circa 1980. There are many still out there, they go cheap, and they hold up forever. I have no idea when Michael Martin went out of business, but all modern saddle are not going to feel like that one for you. The older County Competitors might also feel quite similar, my trainer had me buy this one instead of a County Competitor which is what I had wanted.

Good luck!

This saddle has belonged to my BO most of its life, I doubt it’s yours :slightly_smiling_face:.

I was afraid that would be the verdict. I never loved the Amerigo but it fit my horse and didn’t offend me. Now that I’ve sat in this other one I’m offended by its seat and its expense. At least I got it used.

My horse is the TB Kite - very high withered, quite narrow. I’m not familiar with the fit of County’s, Passier has more of a reputation for fitting TB types as I understand it?

Google is your friend !

I actually did Google, and I did see that one. My problem is I have my doubts the tree shape will fit my horse considering how different he is in shape from the horse I am using the MM on. There is a huge height difference between his withers and the rest of his back, and I doubt the panels are deep enough at the back or the tree curvy enough to accommodate him. That’s why I was asking if there are modern saddles with a seat similar to the MM.