Unlimited access >

Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

I dont remember who criticized. I am hopeful that the increased awareness due to Michael will help him and others who are getting “stuck” in the system and not getting the treatment owed them.

7 Likes

Back in the 90’s, in private psych hospitals patients had group therapy at least twice a day, met with their doctor every day, and also had occupational therapy and/or art therapy or similar. According to LO’s post, nothing near that is happening. It sounds like these people are warehoused. It’s not a compassionate model. And here we are, 30 years later and treatment is worse? That’s nothing to champion.

21 Likes

This the place?

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2019/06/19-06-17-lawsuit-over-greystone-safety-treatment-raises-questions-about-reforms/

3 Likes

This place sounds like an absolute nightmare

4 Likes

https://morristowngreen.com/2022/12/09/a-very-very-dangerous-individual-judge-says-greystone-killer-belongs-in-max-security-psych-hospital/

3 Likes

You are right, it is a nightmare, which extends throughout the NJ penal system due to the actions of the odious Chris Christie. What MB and the rest of the people in the system need is a good investigative reporter which, sadly, seem to have gone the way of the dodo. Nevertheless, I bet there is a reporter out there who would like to blow the lid off of this coverup. And now, they have a high profile case to attract attention.

I worked at the sister newspaper of the publication who revealed the Jerry Sandusky, Joe Paterno, Penn State child molestation coverup for all the world to see. She was a cub reporter with the tenacity of a Jack Russell and we were all very proud of her.

If I were MB’s associates I would start with the Newark Star Ledger not nj.com and, for sure, not Nancy Jaffer, who is a very nice person but this is not what she does. I think that they have not been as stripped of reporters as the other newspapers.

30 Likes

It would make no difference. Several official, through the proper channel complaints were made about Taylor’s behavior during the trial and Krol hearing and his disregard of the Krol guidelines and expert recommendations. Of the people I know who sent complaints, all received a response within the past two weeks saying their complaint was investigated and no issues were found. Something is seriously wrong in NJ if these state run psychiatric facilities are not offering treatment or providing any plan or counseling to the individuals in their care. I wonder what the tax payers of NJ would think knowing how wasteful and inefficient their facilities are. Michael should have been released long ago to pursue treatment and personal security at his own expense!

I suspect the Kanareks have convinced Taylor that Lauren is in fear of Michael if he is released. So why buy a house a few miles from his FL facility if she is so afraid, which of course brings us back to the original big question, why didn’t she leave to begin with if she was so afraid the summer of 2019? If anyone has the potential for fear, it is Michael Barisone concerned the Kanareks will finish the plan they began in 2019.

This situation is not just about Michael Barisone. It is about the many caught in the system who have no voice, no one speaking for them, and are not receiving the help the public believes they are receiving.

60 Minutes, are you listening? Any investigative journalists or producers of documentaries paying attention?

32 Likes

:exploding_head:

^^^ This ^^^

8 Likes

It sounds like that facility has issues on its own already. Like, massive, terrifying issues. I think I would rather be in jail than be in there.

4 Likes

Well aren’t you just the epitome of love, light and compassion? That you make this comment couldn’t be more clearly indicative of your need to pounce in with your negativity and argument just for the sake of it.

38 Likes

Does MB have a review with Judge T in March?

4 Likes

Supposedly. Who really knows with this state and judge? No one can convince me this hasn’t been punitive since April 2022.

24 Likes

This is so sad. I guess I’m not really surprised at state mental health systems- or lack thereof. But when it is impacting someone’s life like this situation, there is something wrong. Have to believe his lawyers and Lara are doing what they can…UGH

7 Likes

Start here: https://www.nj.com/opinion/2018/01/submit_an_op-ed.html.

If you want to be heard reach out.

13 Likes

Along with contacting the new and writing an op-ed, I wonder if writing the Secretary or whatever they are called at the NJ Department of Human Services stating the the Settlement Agreement is not being followed that Spicey Pre posted above? Also writing to that committee that was formed as a result of the Settlement agreement. Heck, go ahead and write the Attorney General and the Governor as well.

Squeaky wheel and all that.

Just trying to burn through MB’s money.

11 Likes

I wonder if MB’s wonderful support team has directly contacted Greystone’s CEO to ask about possible therapy programs for him. Maybe let the CEO know that he was not found to have any mental health issues at the the time of his assessment.

If they say they trump the law, use Jake Brigance’s line from A Time to Kill, “do you normally keep and (not) treat patients if they are of sound mind?”

Also, I think most realize we are just discussing and venting our own frustrations for this sad case. I believe he has an awesome legal support team and the best possible advocate in LO and they are doing their very best for MB.

Edited for spelling

12 Likes

I’m almost certain they are from Lara’s update but that legal fee meter is running at full tilt with the criminal trial, civil trial prep, hearings, etc. Cha-ching. I have zero issues donating what I can to the GFM to fight this injustice. Think how you would be reacting if this happened to someone you loved or were close with! Again, think of all the people in this situation who don’t have Lara and a 5* legal team working for them! It truly is appalling how the mental health in this country is handled. Absolutely nothing has changed since our soldiers returned from Viet Nam desperate for help and finding none! Disgraceful.

Add the fact that Michael, who has been declared not a danger to himself or others by multiple experts, is occupying space someone else could be using!

31 Likes

I agree that an investigative reporter is a good idea. But someone would have to write up a proposal that’s concise and to the point, with references to the previous civil suit against Greystone. Also tie it into current societal concerns regarding access to productive mental health care while facilities like Greystone merely warehouse humans who languish without any individualized therapy. Then narrow your focus and present the main points of MB’s case, including the verdict and the judge’s requirement that MB needs to “work through the levels” with the sad irony that, apparently, Greystone is not offering any “levels” for MB to work through.

The goal would be to inspire the reporter while also giving the editor reasonable confidence that the readership would be interested in such a story.

12 Likes

The woman who wrote the puff piece on LK for the Times should be tackling this story as her penance.

I believe she actually has a history of uncovering health scandals in the workplace.

20 Likes

Betcha Judge Taylor will say in March that Michael Barisone CAN’T be released because “he hasn’t gotten any treatment.”

26 Likes