Unlimited access >

Microchipping in North America

Curious to know the breed organizations operating in North American (not necessarily based in NA) that are microchipping or have the plans in the works for microchipping the new registrations of their horses. For example - the horses will be microchipped at registration time and that number will be recorded on their papers.
I know the following:
Oldenburg Verband already do mandatory microchipping when registering foals.

KWPN - NA have it in the works to start in 2017 mandatory microchipping.

Wondering about all the rest: AHS, Canadian Warmblood, Canadian Sport Horse, ISR / Oldenburg, Rhinelander, Canadian Hanoverian, Thoroughbred, RPSI, American Warmblood, Belgian Warmblood, Danish Warmblood, Swedish Warmblood, Holsteiner, Westfalen, Trakehner, and any others anyone can think of. (Please excuse any spelling mistakes)

Thanks

The Jockey Club began microchipping thoroughbreds this year. It will be mandatory for all foals born in 2017 or later.

The AHS is currently working on implementing this as well.

American Holsteiner Horse Association supports microchipping, but does not require it. As this is going to be a requirement for all sport horses, I think they will eventually get there.

Tim

RPSI microchips, as does the OHBS-GOV.

Cleveland Bay Horse Society requires microchipping now to register both Purebred and Partbred Clevelands. They have had this program in place now at least 4 years. Chip number is in their passport folder which you receive as the Registration paperwork. Our Partbred Clevelands, a now 3yr old and a yearling were chipped and registered when purchased as weanlings.

I knew the CB Society had the microchipping plan in the works a number of years ago, but we had not registered a CB in a while to know their plan was implemented.

I believe microchipping is a good idea. One Bay can look quite like another, especially in a heritage breed with such preponent genetics in body type, size and color. I can get my own horses mixed up with only a fast glance, and there are only 3 large ones! I am ashamed to admit I have put horses in wrong stalls at times, thiking he was the other horse.

They could easily be confused as to which horse is whom, by people who did not know the animals. Our Clevelands get called other breed names or identified as Warmbloods all the time by folks just observing them move. Unless an observer is familiar with Clevelands, that breed never comes up. If the observer is familiar with Clevelands, they always guess right, come over to get their guess confirmed. Even the Partbreds carry a “Cleveland Bay” look to them, once you know the breed.

BWP/NAD encourages microchipping but does not currently require it. Starting on December 1, 2017 all USEF registered show jumpers, hunters and equitation horses will be required to be microchipped. Because of this I am sure that the registries won’t be that far behind.

KNN (Danish Knabstrupper) Microchips

Irish Draught Horse Society North America has started offering micro chipping for both purebreds and sport horses.

www.irishdraught.com.