Unlimited access >

Midnight Dixie Pad or 3M ?

About 10 years ago I bought a Midnight Dixie Pad and then bought some pads that seemed to be the same thing but lots cheaper. I recently went looking for the cheaper ones and they don’t seem to exist. I found a very old discussion on this form plus Long Riders Guild that seems to indicate that the Midnight Dixie Pad was simply a 3M mat that could be bought at a hardware store. I am wondering if there is still a cheaper alternative to the Midnight Dixie Pad? And I wonder why one cannot find the alternative at the same places you could about 10 years ago?

I found an old thread through a google search that said the 3m doormat was the EXACT same thing. Other people said there were MDP knockoffs and those were horrible but that the 3M was the same thing.

The pads were scarring horses and the long rider’s guild filed a number of complaints with 3M that their doormat was being sold as a saddle pad that was causing injury to horses. 3M admitted they knew and continued to do nothing about it. The guild put up enough of a stink I think they got a lot places to quit carrying them.

I tried telling people that on another forum that the 3M and Midnight Dixie were the same and they wouldn’t believe me. Everyone was telling some poster to buy the MD pad. Sure, go ahead and spend $200 for a floor mat I got at the hardware store for $15.

Okay I was looking at this issue. I have to say that the MIdnight Dixie material looks an awful lot like the “loopa” shampoo mit material.