Midshaft Humerus Fracture - Anyone?

I fractured my left humerus (mid-shaft) on January 26 following a fall from my mare into the arena fence. I had surgery with the intramedullary rod and screws on February 2. I have my first post-op visit tomorrow, but I still can’t extend my forearm from the elbow and the arm is entirely useless.

Has anyone had this injury and could give me some idea on the recovery? How long was it until you could ride again? My ortho said at least six weeks and possibly longer. I know it could have been much, much worse, but I’m having a major pity party at the moment. So, success stories will be much appreciated!

In early January my husband managed to dislocate his left shoulder AND break his humerus. He has a plate with about 9 screws.

He has pretty good range of motion (can lift his elbow level with his shoulder, and higher if he really tries).

He has been doing lots of physical therapy.

He can do most things with his left arm,in terms of mobility, but he does not have much strength yet.

He doesn’t ride, but I would say that at this point (almost 6 weeks) he could ride a reliable horse that will go on very light contact.

Thanks Janet, that gives me some hope! Your poor husband, that sounds so painful. I’m glad he’s on the mend.

Yikes, hope you are right handed! Could you have a ‘Popeye’ biceps injury?

This is a question for your DR.

It sounds very early in your recovery. Give it time.

I sympathize though. On a day like today, such excellent trail ride weather, you must be itching to get out.

If it makes you feel any better, our arenas are still a mess from Monday’s rain, and since we’re expecting more on Friday, they probably won’t reopen until next week.

not helpful, i know, but a classmate did something similar (while doing something similar off her gelding) and it was a good six months before she was back in the saddle. she had to have some splint-type thing spreading her fingers out for several weeks, too.

but yes, don’t rush it. you don’t want to end up with some chronic thing for years because of this. if the MD says to do PT, do it. good luck.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and support! I had my post op visit today. The orthopedist said he thought I would have more mobility but thinks it’s still entirely normal for the amount of trauma the arm experienced. I am now to start PT 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks. So now the real waiting begins…

TJ, I had the same injury four years ago, except I got bolted off into the wall of an indoor instead of a fence. I was in a Sarmiento splint for a couple-three months till a decent callus formed on the humerus. Unfortunately, the incredibly incompetent local orthopedist I saw told me not to worry about the fact that I couldn’t move my arm at all. At the three-month mark he theorized that perhaps I’d damaged the brachial plexus. When I finally insisted on an MRI, it showed that I had actually severed two tendons in my rotator cuff, which were now retracted and possibly irreparable. Turns out that pseudoparalysis (a mechanical rather than neurological issue) is pretty definitively predictive of a massive rotator-cuff tear. Happily, I found a fantastic surgeon who did a very, very tricky repair (four hours plus in surgery) that eventually (within about a year) got me back around 60 percent of my normal range of motion, where I’ve held steady since. (I actually have to get the other shoulder done in two weeks, as all the compensatory overuse trashed it too, though much less severely.) The moral of the story is, be the squeaky wheel! If you sustained an impact great enough to break a long bone, you likely also shredded some soft tissue. INSIST on further diagnostics if you’re not improving!

Good luck! It’s a really miserable injury.

1 Like

Draftxfan, thank you so much for sharing your experience, it sounds like you’ve had a really rough time. I can’t believe your original orthopedist did not take your lack of mobility seriously. I’m so glad that you finally got it diagnosed, even though you had to undergo a 4 hour surgery! I will definitely take your advice to heart and be my own advocate!