Unlimited access >

Might be a stupid question

not even sure that this is allowed, but I’m wondering how much my saddle is worth. It’s a 2015 se09 CWD monoflap, duo-toned, medium-wide (4.25 ish). It’s in great shape and I’m attempting to sell it on facebook. Maybe I have it priced too high? I have it on there for 2,550 dollars right now. What do you all think?

I’d google those specs with your province or state; might give you a sense of value? Though as they say, Fair Market Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it!

2 Likes

Yeah, TONS of CWDs on the market, so I’d see what those are selling for (I’d assume a chunk under asking) in your area. Unfortunately the monoflap and the less generous tree measurement might be narrowing your market.

Also, to ME, 4.25” isn’t MW. That’s Mish, at best, and not exactly the terminology CWD uses anyway. I would post the stamp of the saddle and the measurement in the ad, but remove the MW tag if you have it. Perhaps the person who needs your saddle isn’t thinking they need a MW and would scroll right past without looking closer. YMMV but maybe that’ll help get the right eyes on your ad.

Edited to add: selling saddles online, especially in regards to trials can be awful (I’d never sell privately with a trial, and I’d never buy without). Good luck!

2 Likes

I definitely recommend listing it on some of the groups specifically for selling saddles if you aren’t already doing that. I think there’s one called “High End English Saddles for Sale” and there’s probably a CWD specific one as well. You’ll also probably be able to get a good feel for what the saddle is worth based on what you see there.

As someone who was recently saddle shopping, marketplace has a frustrating 500 mile radius limit, so as a buyer who is willing to ship, you have to try and search within 500 miles of a bunch of cities to try to cover as much of the US as possible.

1 Like

I sent one of my Devoucoux saddles to a New England tack shop that markets them on line (name withheld, but you likely know of it). Last week, after seven years of being marketed, it was finally sold and I received a check for the original asking price.

In fairness to them it was an 18 inch saddle, which likely really limited the potential customer pool.

I just recently sold my used Voltaire and I quickly realized I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started trying to sell it on FB. The used saddle market on FB is saturated, but in my opinion, it is absolutely flooded when it comes to French saddles. On top of that, FB groups are INFESTED with scammers (I’ve even had people try to scam me when I’ve done ISO ads looking for a new saddle-- and many group admins don’t even try to keep these people out).

I ended up contacting Susy with Highline/Fineline Tack and she gave me three quotes-- one for outright purchase, one for consigning, and one for trade-in credit toward another saddle. I decided to consign. It took about two months to sell and I had my check. She has an excellent reputation and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I sent a saddle to Fineline/Highline tack recently because I’ve had really poor luck selling on Facebook in the past few years due to the algorithm favoring folks who list things and interact all the time. They got it sold in two months, and they handled the trial and payment, and all the interaction with customers for 20% of the list price. It was fantastic honestly! So much less stressful. Highly recommend going that route.

2 Likes