Unlimited access >

Millbrook Goers - Best Directions to Avoid the "no trailer" roads

So the last time I went up to Millbrook, NY I found myself following my GPS onto a road that said absolutely no trailers… And that time I went anyways. However, despite having no issues, it seems I would be wiser to avoid these strange prejudiced roads. So, who has found a good path up there that avoids them? I’m coming from MD and have the big rig this time.
Thanks!

millbrook

[QUOTE=Zoomd;7689601]
So the last time I went up to Millbrook, NY I found myself following my GPS onto a road that said absolutely no trailers… And that time I went anyways. However, despite having no issues, it seems I would be wiser to avoid these strange prejudiced roads. So, who has found a good path up there that avoids them? I’m coming from MD and have the big rig this time.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

When we go back and forth from your area with a 6 horse, it depends on where in MD. I don’t know the names of all the little roads but I’ve given you the big road numbers and you can mapquest it for the little road names. Whatever you do, DO NOT go on anything that says parkway (the taconic) the major West/East road is 44. From the Waredaca area, do the 81 > 84 then get off on 9 and use your mapquest roads and backup with GPS to get to 44East. Usually we follow 9 and turn at wappingers falls onto 376 and then use local road to go around Poughkeepsie. Cutting over from 9 to route 82 is also a good route to use to get to 44 It usually takes about 1/2-3/4 hour for us to get to 87. And yes, you do end up going through the town of Millbrook.

IF you’re on the Eastern side of MD, cut through to PA/NJ 78 and then do 287 north. Don’t go over the tappan zee but go north to 84 and then cut through from the route 9 exit. to get to 44. I wish I could give you the names of all of the streets. I’ll see if I can get someone who knows the names to come on here.

Either way, best exit from 84 is the route 9 exit. It lists a Cracker Barrel on the sign for the restaurants so you know you have the right 9.

Worst case scenario you could come up route 22 from the East but then you have a wicked turn and hill coming up 44.

Yeah, I was going to suggest 81 to 84.

Avoid anything that calls itself a “parkway” in NY.

Thay are restricted to passenger cars only.

They were built as “make-work” projects in the depression, and the intention was to provide a scenic drive in the country, not to get from A to B. Yes, nowadays they are major commuter routes, but they are still restricted to passenger vehicles only.