Unlimited access >

Millbrook Stirrup Leathers?

I personally think TSF ones are significantly better quality than Millbrook.

after personal dealings(Not leathers related) with the owner of Millbrook, I would rather burn my money then buy a product from her. My experience with her was one of the worst I have dealt with in the horse community. For what it’s worth I thought TSF was better quality before I had my experience with her.

She does not back her products at all. Honestly I would go with TSF just based on customer service alone.

Gary Mundy also makes these types of leathers as well.

I have a pair of Ovations and I have had 0 issues with them.

5 Likes

Thank you everyone for the advice, I think I’m going to try a pair, but not Millbrook!

2 Likes

@Archer I did buy the comfort leathers. I like them so far although only had them a couple days. But right off the bat leather quality surpasses millbrook obviously. Super supple but also nice and thick. Not thick and stiff like my other ones. They do fit sleek under saddle.

only “complaint” is that you cannot run ur stirrups you your leathers like you normally would. I read on FB someone just takes them on and off, and I’ve been doing that. Sounds tedious but it really isn’t because it’s just that rubberband things that slips on and off the bars of your saddle instead of feeding the entire leather in and out like the traditional. Literally takes 10 seconds so I’m okay with that :slight_smile:

No. No. No.

They are fine. They are thick and jam into your stirrup bar so between that and the wider width they do move around LESS. But not to the point where it makes a HUGE difference. They don’t feel much bulkier under the leg. I did not think the quality matched the price nor the performance matched the hype.

They were fine. I would rate them as just fine.

The quality of the TSF are junk and I would forget those. I actually think the Ovation ones are the best for the price. Hardly top top end quality but also not a terribly high price.

I have seen people say this on FB but I asked Riding Warehouse (which is where I got mine) about this. They contacted the manufacturer and were told there was no recall/reports of this issue. And they’re a BIG retailer. All the reports of a recall seem to originate from one small tack shop, which makes me wonder if perhaps they got some information muddled? You would think if there was an issue, a very large retailer would be able to find that out?

1 Like

I would have thought the same thing, but I just got onto the ERS website yesterday via our dealer login information and the notice is still posted.

notice.jpg

I need to follow up with RW, thank you

I’m so happy to hear the feedback, thanks! Can you tell me how you decided on which size to get?

@Archer
I have short legs, I am only 5’2. They do have a size chart in their site but I think it’s a bit difficult to understand. I ended up texting one of the reps and telling them I don’t understand their size chart and asked which size would be best for me 😂
they actually have pretty good customer service. Took me a while to find a number other than the number they provide which is France. If you ever do have questions the main line number in Wellington is (818) 433-7694.

their site says it takes 35 days to ship but mine came in two weeks so that was nice. :slight_smile:

The TSF ones have a generous trial period with free shipping and returns, so it may be worth trying them

1 Like

Now my Ovation stirrup leathers disintegrated (mid ride, I almost fell). So despite being told by RW that there was no defect/recall… I highly suspect that there were/are issues with these leathers.

1 Like

I have had zero issues with my Millbrook leathers, except the ones I ordered off the size chart were WAY too short for me. I gave my first pair to my riding lesson stable and the saddle that has them on is the most popular saddle with the adult ladies.

I have been using my current pair for years (the longest ones). They are well made and substantial. I switch them from side to side a couple of times a year when I condition them.

Yes they are sort of thick and stiff. With decent care they might well last me the rest of my life (I’m 70).

I just ordered the TSF ones for my dressage saddle. Hoping they are as great as I heard.

@vxf111 that sucks.

I felt really bad having publicly endorsed the Ovation leathers and now I want to correct the record because what happened was pretty darn scary!

2 Likes

I just retired my Millbrooks (5 ish years old?) because they were unevenly stretched from a combo of me having different length legs and not switching them often enough. I’m riding in the TSF but find the buckle & leather are so bulky under my leg.

If anyone is interested in the Millbrooks but turned off by the owner, you can buy them direct from Pravins Sellier in France for less than what they cost from Millbrook, even with shipping to the US - $173 from Pravins with shipping, $191 from Millbrook.

1 Like

I hope that doesnt happen to me lol I have short enough legs as is, I dont need any more bulk!

Apologies for the terrible photos. I have them in both brown and black. The brown was taken against my black saddle. They were probably about nine months old at this point. The black was taken when they were brand new. They will never be butter soft, but I guess that’s the point. In fact, they’re still stiff as a board, even after a year. That said, they do stretch quite a bit. I also noticed the dye wore rather quickly even though I rarely clean my tack. I didn’t like the quality of the TSF when I saw them in person. When I first hop on, I do notice them under my leg but forget about them after a few minutes.

All in all, I really like them and think they absolutely work to keep the leg stable. I would absolutely recommend them.

1 Like

Yikes! Glad you weren’t hurt!

Do you think it was a petroleum type product in a leather care treatment that rotted the stitching? I know Horseman’s One Step, Neatsfoot Oil Compound and even other expensive imported leather care products contain petroleum distillates. This stuff can dissolve and weaken stitching. Happened to me but not on a saddle or bridle, luckily.

Or?

Scary.

I don’t use any products of that type on leathers. I use plain old water/ammonia to clean and glycerine saddle soap occasionally to seal/condition.

Also the nylon core was frayed and ripping. I don’t know any tack cleaning products that can cause that. Something was not right about how these were sewn, I suspect.

I think petroleum distillates can dissolve nylon?

Maybe the glue they used in assembly? Although that piece of nylon looks inadequate to me. Hard to know what stuff is make like inside where you can’t see.

Edgewood leather has a care suggestion about mixing 10% neatsfoot oil compound with 90% pure neatsfoot oil, on new leather only because the distillates help penetrate new leather. Then suggests avoiding petroleum distillates products.