Unlimited access >

Mini Donkey is naughty, again

Things were going well with Tony. Then, the other day, he was back to biting. He also reared and tried to play with our son. HIs two nasty old habits from being an absolutely spoiled, undisciplined mess when we got him. It was so frustrating. But, why would he revert?

His pen is in front of the farm, by the road. Lots of people slow down or stop and talk to him, which is nice, actually. However, hubby says that a group of preteen girls gather by the fence often. He noticed when he was passing them the other day that Tony was running around and play fighting through the fence while they laughed. They looked sheepish and walked away when hubby drove by. I don’t know these girls, but we moved him to a paddock on the other side of the barn this morning. At nine months old, and previously spoiled, he doesn’t know any better so he reverted to what he used to get away with. I’m sure the kids don’t know any better and it’s not their job to train him anyway. The sheep are in there instead. They aren’t nearly as friendly.

I had another “oh he** no!” session with him and he’s a bit better already. I’ll get him back on track.

1 Like

Is he gelded yet?

He is young yet. Not many 9 month old equines remember the rules all the time. Getting him away from bad influences from passerby’s will help I am sure.

3 Likes

Exactly. You have a colt. They play. They do best in a herd where adult horses can put them in line. They do worst where people encourage their rough play.

3 Likes

Our vet gelded him two days after he came home. He’s in with grumpy pony now, learning some manners, lol

6 Likes